cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmvare policy accelerator not working

probck
Level 3

I noticed that the accelerator is not working on backups in my VMware policy, so the backup time is getting longer.
There is a statement as follows in job details.

There is no complete match with track journal backup image, a regular full backup will be Performed.

I would like to ask this, especially since this situation occurs at the beginning of every month.
I have 3 schedules. Full, Diff and Monthly.
I also have 2 datadomains.
The full schedule runs every week and writes to datadomain 1.
Diff schedule runs every day and writes to datadomain 1.
Monthly schedule runs at the beginning of each month and writes to datadomain 2.
Accelerator does not work when switching from datadomain 1 to datadomain 2.
The accelerator still does not work when it starts writing datadomain 1 again after the monthly backup.

Is the cause of accelerator not working due to target storage? I could not find the explanation of this anywhere.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

In a nutshell yes - because you are switching storage destinations, the track logging has to be reset. 

A better way to achieve what you are doing would be to create an SLP for the monthly backup, where the primary destination is datadomain (DD) 1 (which will keep the track log and accelerator happy), then duplicate to DD2 (to keep your data segregation requirements). The copy on DD 1 doesn't need to last any longer than it takes to duplicate to DD2 (i.e. expire after copy), although it won't consume much space as the data will deduplicate well with the existing data from the Full and Daily backups. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

In a nutshell yes - because you are switching storage destinations, the track logging has to be reset. 

A better way to achieve what you are doing would be to create an SLP for the monthly backup, where the primary destination is datadomain (DD) 1 (which will keep the track log and accelerator happy), then duplicate to DD2 (to keep your data segregation requirements). The copy on DD 1 doesn't need to last any longer than it takes to duplicate to DD2 (i.e. expire after copy), although it won't consume much space as the data will deduplicate well with the existing data from the Full and Daily backups.