cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware Backups Enable File Recovery Option

MustafaAogluGT
Level 3

Hello;

I did some research but I couldn't find a clear answer. What are the disadvantages of this feature(enable file recovery ftom VM) on the master?

if this is the case, I want to create two different policies enable file recovery option VMS and the others.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

iVaibhav
Level 4

I dont think there is any disadvantage unless you dont want the ability to recover files from it. 

The Catalog will have file history as usual for oher machines in addition to Snapshot Information. 

The only advantage I can think of is Catalog will not index its files which will save Caalog space (Theoritically )

But a Veritas Engineer will be at a better position to answer this

Regards

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pats_729
Level 6
Employee

m sorry but why do you think there will be any disadvantages on Master ?

I have been using this option ever since it made available by Veritas and never had issues.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

I think NBU catalog migth be bigger when this is enabled... but in now a days no one is considering this as down side - thanks to storage being cheaper and cheaper...

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

you will have more disadvantage if you create seperate policy for file recovery and for VM, as the backup data has to travel twice from source to Netbackup, it will put load on network, Netbackup master & media server and in catalog, its simply doubles the work. it is not a best practice and i highly discourage to doing it, unless you have a better justification for server to server basic. 

iVaibhav
Level 4

I dont think there is any disadvantage unless you dont want the ability to recover files from it. 

The Catalog will have file history as usual for oher machines in addition to Snapshot Information. 

The only advantage I can think of is Catalog will not index its files which will save Caalog space (Theoritically )

But a Veritas Engineer will be at a better position to answer this

Regards

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@iVaibhav is correct - there will be a saving in size reduction of the NetBackup Catalog.

Catalog size can be estimated here:

Estimating catalog space requirements

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v41242670-126559472

Certainly there is an argument to not indexing VM backups if you do not have to.  Why consume resources when you do not need to.  Whether a VM backup has its contents indexed or not will have no effect upon the elapsed time duration of whole VM restore.

Agreed @sdo .

@MustafaAogluGT  . Please let us know if this answeres your question.

Thank you very much for your replies. Yes actually my real concern is catalog backup size and also reduce all possible load on master server. 

Hello @quebek ,  i saw advices about after the certain catalog backup size  create new netbackup domain. I try to prevent my environment to need of new netbackup domain. Many thanks.

Good to know @MustafaAogluGT 

Please Mark an answer as a solution so that this Thread can be closed and concluded.