cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware CBT restore in Netbackup ?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

It this a feature people could/would use if available ?

Seems to be a function in the vmware api, where only the changed is moved in a restore which of course makes it faster than a traditional restore.

Personally I have mostly restored either single files/folders or full VMs, when the VM had either been deleted or was unusable for some reason.

Thinking there might be some caveats, since Sýmantec/Veritas hasn't implemented the feature already

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There would nee to be a "do not use CBT for restore" option, in case the data on the VM is corrupt or unkown state. Vmotion also reset the CBT log.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

All I can find on VMware website is that CBT should be disabled for SAN transport:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103509...

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I think that VMware article is aimed at developers/programmers/third-party who make use of calls to the VDDK API for VADP.  So, where it says "Changed Block Tracking (CBT) must be disabled for SAN restores.", this is an instruction to programmers to make sure that CBT is de-activated during their restore code/routines.

i.e. IMO, it is not an instruction to backup admins that "CBT should be disabled for SAN transport".

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

@Nicolai,  yes or an active choice of the CBT restore function

@Marianne, seems mostly to be mentioned in the VDP documentation and the Virtual Disk Programming guide. (Got 100+ hits when searching on cbt restore/recover on the vmware site) Didn't find the one explaining the CBT restore in detail ..yet

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue