Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware View and Netbackup 7.6

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I'm trying to backup a VDI environment w/ Netbackup.

I'm able of using the VIP (vmware inteligente policy) that I can backup everyting starting w/ VDESK*

using linked clones I was trying to use an option (clicking Advanced at vmware pannel) select "dont backup boot disk"

that was supposed to be perfect, the only problem is that Vmware do not understand the Snapshot that Netbackup needs to execute.

does anyone have won this challenge?

I do not want to install an agente in every virtual desktop so I 'll have some problem W/ DNS and I really don't want to :)

I have read something about create the persistant disk in a different datastore, so Vmware dont recomend that.

Best Regards

Any Idea will be very usefull

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You have selected: 'I do not need a solution (just sharing info)'. Right?

Please explain what the following means?

the only problem is that Vmware do not understand the Snapshot that Netbackup needs to execute.

Are you seeing errors in vCenter/Vmware logs?

I also don't understand why you believe that you need to install agents to avoid/solve DNS problems?

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello Marianne,

I just wana share some info because I that isn't exactly a problem, just a best way of backing up linked clones.

About DNS

Using linked clones I usualy link the vdi pool to a AD group, than I just add an user to that group and automatcally a Desktop is assigned, so I have to add to /etc/hosts IPs . etc..

about the snapshot:

When using linked clones the boot particion is a "clone" from a parent image, when Netbackup starts the SnapShot it trys to snapshot this "boot" drive.

in your oppinion

What is the best way backing up a VDI environment?

Today I have to place the Persona files (%userprofile) into a File Server and use NDMP or an Standard Client to back this files up.

Best Regards.

Big Fan :) 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

in your oppinion

What is the best way backing up a VDI environment?

Sincere apologies - I have no experience with VDI environment...

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

What are you trying to back up. In a linked clone environment you just need to back up the template. Every time you start virtual desk top it is spun up from this and when you shut it down it is destroyed. So the only thing you need to backup is the user data and that is either on a share or in a persistent desktop file. Those would be the locations requiring a backup. Therefore your placing the user data on a file share as you said you do is the best practice for backing up any desktop.

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Using Vmware View Linked Clones, I can Detach the persistant disk and use the same desktop to another user.

I'm Trying to backup up the VDI environment w/ agent using VIP (Virtual Inteligent Polocy)

so I can select VDESK*  and every desktop created Will automatically be inserted to this policy.

I'm having some victories :) , like, selecting the Vdesk-pool, removing the boot disk from backup, the only problem is that NB using the enterprise client to backup VMs, it takes a Snapshot and removes right after the end of backup, Is there any way of backing a VM up w/out a Snapshot?

If so, I'll post here the results, 

Best Regards