cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware backup failing with EC 50

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello guys,

I have a question regarding the filesystem nfs4 that is listed in the df -hT output.

The backup of this Debian 9 VM is failing with EC 50 and the volume on nfs4 has more than 3Tb used space. I didn't find a clear answer in the guide: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/NB_70_80_VE (page 33) regarding the support of this FS..

I know that XFS and EXT4  may cause this kind of problem, but nfs4? any ideas?

**I can't enable VxMS logs (for now) because it generates a lot of logs and the backup is taking hours to complete (12-13 hours)**

Thanks,

BR.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi @Hamza_H ,

I don't believe the VMWARE backup would backup the NFS filesystems, on that client.  I would only protect the "virtual" volumes, that are configured as part of the virtual machine.

Network attached storage is configured at the OS level, not at the virtual hardware level and is not protected by the backup of the virtual components.

So I would suspect that the error code is not related to that specific filesytem, maybe you can share some of the detailed logs from job that failed.....

Regards

Simon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi @Hamza_H ,

I don't believe the VMWARE backup would backup the NFS filesystems, on that client.  I would only protect the "virtual" volumes, that are configured as part of the virtual machine.

Network attached storage is configured at the OS level, not at the virtual hardware level and is not protected by the backup of the virtual components.

So I would suspect that the error code is not related to that specific filesytem, maybe you can share some of the detailed logs from job that failed.....

Regards

Simon

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello @StoneRam-Simon ,

Thank you for your reply,

I think you have just answered my question because I wanted to know how it would behave with NFS..

I am still digging in this (unfortunately I can't share the EC's details, otherwise I have to change all the names/ip addresses) ..

So I will mark your reply as a solution and when I'll have the solution for the error 50 I will get back here to put the solution.