Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware backup fails code 13

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello,

Version of NBU : 8.2

Vmware backup fails with status = 13: Info bpbkar (pid=0) done. status: 13: file read failed

this concerns only FULL backups, the INCR backups are running fine.

Vmtools are up to date.

We changed the DS and the ESX for the VM and the problem is still here.

Accelerator was enabled, then we tried a backup with rescan and NOK

we also created a new Policy and executed the backup , still NOK

in the bpdbm logs we have errors like :

14:32:13.818 [3419] <2> image_db: Q_IMAGE_ADD_FILES (locking)

14:32:15.246 [3419] <4> db_error_add_to_file: File: ../nbe_cat_image.cpp Line: 5371 Details: index 239150; limit 53013: invalid index,

14:32:15.246 [3419] <32> Function: NBE_CatImage::getImageDirectory: File: ../nbe_cat_image.cpp Line: 5371 Details: index 239150; limit 53013: invalid index,

14:32:15.246 [3419] <16> add_files_alt: Error adding file rec 13

14:32:15.246 [3419] <4> add_files_alt: 79311 catalog entries written to DB

14:32:15.247 [3419] <2> db_sendSTATUS: Status:13

14:32:15.247 [3419] <2> process_request: request complete: exit status 13 file read failed; query type: 78

any ideas please?

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello !

Well, we escalated the case to veritas support and they confirmed that they have similar cases with same issues but it is not a netbackup problem.

Several errors on the Vm's Os (ntfs, chkdsk..) so the errors that I mentioned before ''limit index..' were because of those OS errors.

the technote is not published yet (internal) but it will be soon.

so two solutions:

- fix os problems

- exclude the volume on which you have these errors ( if you are on netbackup 8.1.2 or higher)

Hope this helps other people (because I couldn't find anything similar anywhere..)

Best Regards.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) Version of ESX?

2) OS and version of VM?

3) If the VM is Linux, is the VM using XFS file system?

What I can say is the error level <32> means critical, and it looks like you've found an unhandled error.  Personally I'd log a proper Veritas Support case.

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello @sdo 

Thank you for your reply,

The Vm's os is Windows 2008 so there is no XFS

the FS is NTFS

That what I also thought because it is a strange error and found nothing on it on Net.. and also it regards bpdbm & image_db: Q_IMAGE_ADD_FILES.. and he version is 8.2 so all new, maybe a new bug?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with @sdo  - time to log a support call with Veritas. 

Hamza_H
   VIP   

Hello !

Well, we escalated the case to veritas support and they confirmed that they have similar cases with same issues but it is not a netbackup problem.

Several errors on the Vm's Os (ntfs, chkdsk..) so the errors that I mentioned before ''limit index..' were because of those OS errors.

the technote is not published yet (internal) but it will be soon.

so two solutions:

- fix os problems

- exclude the volume on which you have these errors ( if you are on netbackup 8.1.2 or higher)

Hope this helps other people (because I couldn't find anything similar anywhere..)

Best Regards.