Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware redirect snapshot backup

suchit_patel
Level 3
Accredited

HI

Redirection of VMs snapshot to dedicated backup LUN(not production datastore LUN) and that LUN we will present on backup host for VMware API base backup.

need to present the production LUN to Backup host or not ?

kindly help on the same

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Redirection of VMs snapshot to dedicated backup LUN(not production datastore LUN"

When you use this terminology are you referring to placing the delta-redolog files of your vmdk's on a separate LUN (datastore) to their parent vmdk's?

Your post and use of terminology is quite vague.

Do you mean this?

Creating snapshots in a different location than default virtual machine directory for VMware ESX and...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

what the netbackup version and Vcenter Version?

are you planing to have the SAN based backups? if SAN transport , yes you need to present the LUNs to backup host.

and "Redirection of VMs snapshot to dedicated backup LUN(not production datastore LUN" how exactly you are going to do this..?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It sounds as if you are describing VCB backups.

This technology is no longer supported by Symantec or VMware.

Have a look at 'VCB no longer supported' in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

NBU can read data directly from the snapshot taken of the production data store.

Please go through 'Components of NetBackup for VMware' in above manual for the different backup options across the network or the SAN.
There are also nice diagrams that makes it easy to understand.

suchit_patel
Level 3
Accredited

this is the San transport backup we will configure the redirect Vmware snapshot(Vmware Configuration) to another datastore(Backup LUN).

after that we will present the backup LUN to media server and run the backup San transport mode

need to present the production and backup LUN both to the Media server or if i only present Backup LUN it will work

suchit_patel
Level 3
Accredited

my requirement is that i dont want to show the my procution datastore to Media server so for that i will try to redirect the Vmware snapshot to the another datastore and same we will show to the media server

but query is that if only show the another LUN to media server my SAN transport backup will work or need to show the production LUN to media server

Marianne

The method you describe here is called 'VCB' backups.

See this VMware doc: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/consolidated_backup_datasheet.pdf 

Please see the NBU for VMware Guide (URL in my previous post) for currently supported backup methods.

suchit_patel
Level 3
Accredited

we are not using VCB we are using vstorage API

Marianne

VStorage API does not take full volume snapshot on a separate LUN. Only VCB does.

vStorage API backs up from the production datastore. Either across the SAN or the LAN (or hot-add).
If you want to backup across the SAN, you need to present the production datastores to the Media server that will be your backup host.

Have you had a look at the documentation yet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Redirection of VMs snapshot to dedicated backup LUN(not production datastore LUN"

When you use this terminology are you referring to placing the delta-redolog files of your vmdk's on a separate LUN (datastore) to their parent vmdk's?

Your post and use of terminology is quite vague.

Do you mean this?

Creating snapshots in a different location than default virtual machine directory for VMware ESX and...