Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware snasphot backups

noazara
VIP
   VIP   

Hi Champs,

We have VIP configured in our environment.We have Both INCR and FULL backups schedule in the Same policy for the Vmware snapshots backup with Enable BLIB setting.

My query is when we talk about Vm Snapshots ,what is the diff between INCR and FULL Backups.Snasphot is basically the point in time copy so what is the rule of INCr and FULL backup in case of VIP/Vmware snapshots backups?

8 REPLIES 8

noazara
VIP
   VIP   

Hi guys,

Need help on this

John_Whitehead_
Level 3

There is section specific to this in the NetBackup VMWare admin guide. I would always keep this close to hand: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/21902280-127283730-0/v27791754-127283730

The only thing it doesn't mention is that there is also a Full Forced schedule, if your policy doesn't include this type of schedule then your full backup automatically runs as one regardless. A full forced schedule scans all blocks, ineffect creating a new baseline for the backup.

To full take advantage of BLIB you need a Full Forced, Full and an incremental schedule type within your policy.

For further details around vmware snapshots and how they work you would have to look into the vmware documentation

Thanks.

I have BLIB enabled in the policy.

So I can run INCR Snapshots backup on a daily basis and MY VM will be recovered in case of disaster?

noazara
VIP
   VIP   

Also, when we talk about Vm Snapshots ,what is the diff between INCR and FULL Backups.Snasphot is basically the point in time copy so what is the rule of INCr and FULL backup in case of VIP/Vmware snapshots backups?

Please clarify. Are you keeping the snapshot as the backup, or are you backing up snapshot contents to other storage? I think the normal case is to back up the snapshot to storage, in which case normal full vs. incremental distinctions apply.

Hi ALL,

Backups are going on to the MSDP pool. Snapshot is being created at the v center level.

We are keeping snapshots as the backup

noazara
VIP
   VIP   

Hi guys,

please reply on this.