cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Pool change

Jay_Son
Level 5
Hi -

What Netbackup command can I use to modify a media's Volume Pool. The tape expired in the library and had the write-protect set. So, no images were able to be written. However, there was a backup job that wanted to use that tape (not realizing that it was write-protected). Now, there is a Volume Pool name that I'd like removed/deassigned on it. I need this tape as scratch_pool. Can I do this thru the NBU console or CLI? What command and option do I use? What is the "best practice" for this case?2

Thank you
Jay Son  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6
First you have to make sure the tape is unassigned and you can do that through the Media section of the GUI.
Media and Device Management
--> Media
----> search for the media in the right window pane and check the column titled "Time assigned" and it must be blank or you can not change the volume pool

right mouse click on the media and a popup menu is displayed. There is a place  called "Volume pool" for you to change the media to whichever pool you want it to be in.

If the tape is assigned then see if it is frozen (which it probably is since the write protect was on)
frozen tapes can be unfrozen using the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia command.
$INSTALL_DIR\Veritas\netbackup\admincmd\bpmedia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
First you have to make sure the tape is unassigned and you can do that through the Media section of the GUI.
Media and Device Management
--> Media
----> search for the media in the right window pane and check the column titled "Time assigned" and it must be blank or you can not change the volume pool

right mouse click on the media and a popup menu is displayed. There is a place  called "Volume pool" for you to change the media to whichever pool you want it to be in.

If the tape is assigned then see if it is frozen (which it probably is since the write protect was on)
frozen tapes can be unfrozen using the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia command.
$INSTALL_DIR\Veritas\netbackup\admincmd\bpmedia

Jay_Son
Level 5

Hi Bob -

Thank you for your response. When I try to unfreeze this media id (below). I get an error message. The Server Host exists. Here is the error message:

# bpmedialist -mlist -m H00773
Server Host = sutr3qa6db01

id rl images allocated last updated density kbytes restores
vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H00773 2 0 03/18/2009 17:00 N/A hcart3 0 0
0 N/A N/A FROZEN

# bpmedia -unfreeze -m H00773 -h sutr3qa6db01
ld.so.1: bpmedia: fatal: libSigSchedule250ST.so: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed

#

Does this error look familiar to you? If so, what is the remedy?

Thanks.

Jay_Son
Level 5
Actually, I just figured it out. I have two (older version) of bpmedia binary.

Thank you

All is well.