cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: Unable to obtain list of files using specified search criteria.

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hello All,

I have a problem listing some files for a restore.

Environment: NBU 7.5.0.4 on a 2.5.2 appliance version 2.5.1 master/media server and an identical media server, both using deduplication.

Problem:

For some of the clients, when attempting a restore, the above message is returned, for others is works fine.

Policy types tested are MS-Windows and VMware, same results. Although the VMware one has the added "feature" of not showing incrementals in the list.

As implied, the list of images appears, but when any is selected the WARNING message appears.

Addition information:

bpimagelist show valid images for the clients and times in question.

bplist and bpadm both fail with No Entity Found when using the same criteria.

cat_convert -dump kdkdkdk.f file shows the files.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

The problem has been resolved. We needed to add symbolic links in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images for the upper and lower case versions of the client. Although the client was defined in lower case the bplist command, when it called the EMM database, was asking for the upercase name which couldn't be found.

Although these were Windows type policies, the clients were Enterprise Vault severs. This appears to be the cause as there were only four clients failing and all four were EV servers (and the only EV servers).

Thank you everyone for you help and support.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This usually ocurrs for incremental backups (vmware incremental backups do not do individual files by the way) where a backup may be successful but there is not actually anything to back up - hence "no files to display"

Another reason is if you have UAC enabled and you have not opened the BAR GUI using the "run as administrator" option

Hope this helps

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately the UAC doesn't apply as I get the same problem with bpadm or bplist and cat_convert -dump kdkdkdkd.f shows the files.

Also from the same console I can list other clients.

Thanks again.

Regards

Pat

Will_Restore
Level 6

what are the full command lines you are attempting to execute?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

bpimagelist show valid images for the clients and times in question.

bplist and bpadm both fail with No Entity Found when using the same criteria.

We need to see what you see....

Please show us bpimagelist output with -L option and then the bplist command that is failing.

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

bpimagelist -client client_name -d 01/01/2013
 bplist -C client_name -t 40 -s 01/01/2013 -R -b  /

Sorry, I don't have the exact commands, this is from memory. I will be able to get them in 4-5 hours.

If I run the above commands on other clients they work fine.

Regards,

Patrick

Marianne
Level 6

I am curious to see bpimagelist with -L output.

The only difference in your options is that you are specifying the policy type in bplist command and not with bpimagelist.

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Curiousier and Curiousier.

bpflist with backupid works. bpflist with client name with or without backupid fails. See attached file for info

Marianne
Level 6

Policy type is shown in bpimagelist output as MS-Windows (not VMware):

IMAGE some_client 0 0 9 some_client_1383501601 Windows_Cluster_TH02 13 *NULL* root 

-t 40 will then definitely produce status 227....

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Sorry. I was unclear.

This example was for a windows client because it was easier to gather the info. The problem applies to windows and vmware policies, but not all.

Marianne
Level 6

Apologies for not reading your Word doc till the end.

Hopefully you have bprd and bpdbm logs enabled on the master?

Seems this is the only way we will figure out why the master server is no happy with client name in bplist and bpflist commands...

Will_Restore
Level 6

bplist -C some_client -s 11/02/2013 -e 11/04/2013

EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found

Need a couple more parameters to list Windows server backup; won't work without them

-t 13     specifies Policy type for Windows

/C/        or some other valid path

bplist -C some_client -s 11/02/2013 -e 11/04/2013 -t 13 /C/

EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found

So that should have worked.  Unless the client name is mispelled, there are no valid images in that date range, or the path does not match.  You can try this as well to do recursive search:

bplist -C some_client  -t 13  -R  /

If that produces some data, then add filters as needed

Marianne
Level 6

Hi Patrick 

Curious to know if the logs helped to clear up the mystery?

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for your interest, unfortunately, no, the problem is still on going. I have a WebEx wiht the customer in about an hour.

Regards,

Pat

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

The problem has been resolved. We needed to add symbolic links in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images for the upper and lower case versions of the client. Although the client was defined in lower case the bplist command, when it called the EMM database, was asking for the upercase name which couldn't be found.

Although these were Windows type policies, the clients were Enterprise Vault severs. This appears to be the cause as there were only four clients failing and all four were EV servers (and the only EV servers).

Thank you everyone for you help and support.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Ah-ha ... said above on Nov 6

So that should have worked.  Unless the client name is mispelled...

p_whelan
Level 4
Employee Accredited

P.S.

-t 13 is NOT needed and / at the end is sufficient.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Well it depends on what you are looking for.  None of the parameters are required. smiley

Glad you got it sorted out!