cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIN32 5: Access is denied Netbackup 7.0 restore

ali_hassan
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I am kinda stuck in a situtaion and need some help, I have installed a new Windows 2008 R2 server which will replace my old Windows 2003 file server after the data migration is done.

I have backed up all the data from my current (W2K3) file server using NB and I want to restore it on my new W2k8 server, I have installed the NB client on the new server as well.

So while on the new file server I tried to open BAR I got an error stating "The reuested operation could not complete....."  which I fixed by creating a "No.Restrictions" file on the media server ( and yeah I have a dedicated Backup Server as well which I use to backup the data)

Now that I am able to open up BAR on the W2K8 machine and when I select the required data to be restored, it just hangs! and does not do anything and eventually i have to close it out.

When i try doing the restore from my dedicated Media server by browsing to the UNC path and selecting the new server and clicking on restore, I get the follwoing error

======

begin reading
1/22/2013 11:19:05 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=9604) from client dx300: WRN - can't create directory: \\?\UNC\DFILE300\Applic\HSE (WIN32 5: Access is denied. )
1/22/2013 11:19:05 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=9604) from client dx300: WRN - can't create directory: \\?\UNC\FILE300\Applic\HSE\General (WIN32 5: Access is denied. )
1/22/2013 11:19:05 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=9604) from client dx300: WRN - can't create directory: \\?\UNC\DFILE300\Applic\SHARED (WIN32 5: Access is denied. )
1/22/2013 11:19:05 AM - Warning bpbrm(pid=9604) from client dx300: WRN - can't create directory: \\?\UNC\DFILE300\Applic\SHARED\General (WIN32 5: Access is denied. )

========

From what i have read so far about this it says that the "Netbackup Client Service" should have to permissions to restore on the new file server and it has to do something with the permission issue.
I tried changing the account that the netbackup client service uses to my domain admin account on both the backup and the new file server but didnt work
I tried using my normal account which I use to login to the servers and even that didnt work and I keep getting this error.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
A

4 REPLIES 4

Ashish-Sharma
Level 6
Accredited

To restore files to an UNC path successfully, we need to make sure the NetBackup client service's logon account has the following privilege:

1,  The account is in the local admin group(if it is a domain user, it should be in domain admin group too);

2,  The account is the owner of the file that need to be restored.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163053

ali_hassan
Level 4

But wouldnt this be the same when I used my domain account account as a netbackup client service logon account and it failed when I did the restore...

ali_hassan
Level 4

Alright I kinda managed to fix it from the new file server, as I had mentioned earlier that when I tried to restore from the new file server the netbackup BAR would hang but now it doesnt.

I had to add the firewall expections and it was fixed but now the issue is that the files are restored without  the NTFS permissions which is an issue as I want them to have the ntfs permissions restored as well.

Restoring from the backup server to the new server is stil giving me "Access is Denied" though..

ali_hassan
Level 4

Ok it have fixed the restores from the backup server as well, what I had to do was on the backup server go to BAR and click on File --> Specify Netbackup Machine and Policy Type

Ater that under the Destination client for restores I had to add the new file server and selected that from the drop down.

Also the part where it does not restore the NTFS permissions, its not related to netbackup its something I have to do on the windows server side and on both my server the "Netbackup Client Service" is running with Local System account and I am made to perform restores.