cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINDOWS and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS

Stumpr2
Level 6
One of the disadvantages of working with a product for a long time is remembering caveats. I know that SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS for a LTO tape drive should be set to 256K. But, at one time there was a problem doing restores from a windows server that was set to 256K for the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS. If I rember correctly, the backups would run fine but the restores would fail with a complaint that the image was not in tar format? The problem was with WINDOWS OS and not NetBackup. The solution was to stay at 64K....Is this still a problem with the windows media servers?

If anyone has actually done restores with the 256K setting then please let me know. I recently upgraded from DLT's to LTO II's and would like to increase the setting to take advantage of this newer technology.
4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I prefer to increase NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS, rather than SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS. But I have never do this on Windows - on UNIX only.
I'll try it on my new Windows environment if i can make time.

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
You can take the size data buffers to 128K for Windows 2000 and beyond as long as the HBA and drive support it. Unfortunately there is no list on which do and which don't. All you can do is set it and test a restore. My own observation is that most HBA and drive combinations in the last year or so seem to support it just fine. You still cannot set it above 128K on Windows though.

Terry_Furey
Level 3
Check this link:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/244652

Uros_Gosar
Level 2
Yes a actually done successfully restore in windows 2003 environment. But I need to update the HBA firmvare the and HBA drivers I increase the SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS to 256K. Library ADIC 2000i HBA Qlogic 2300.

Br, M