Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WRN - can�t open directory: Shadow Copy Components:\..\FSRM configuration

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Hi,

Did anyone encounter the following error:
WRN - can�t open directory: Shadow Copy Components:\System Service\FSRM Writer\FSRM configuration on volume E: (BEDS 0xFFFFFE02: )

And sometime this error message is accompanied by the following message:
WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32 21: The device is not ready. )

I'm not sure whether both warning messages above are related but I realised that this error only happened intermittencely when backing up a Windows fileserver and cause the backup status 1.

Does anyone know the impact of this error?
Or is it safe to add it to exclude list (any impact on recovery)? And if yes, exclude to which level (is excluding Shadow Copy Components:\System Service\FSRM Writer alright?)

The backup client is running Win2k3 with NBU5.1 MP4 (without Advanced Client). Thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Anyone has any comments?

Deepak_Bhalwank
Level 5
HI,
I guess that the files contain shadow copy data for FSRM -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8a081a66-4fa0-42fe-ad43-2ef80dee5f34&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer

Br,
Deepak.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Thanks for helping.
In my case, the FSRM is used as the function of disk quota manager as this particular Windows client is a file server. I had asked the Sys Admin to escalate it to Microsoft to see whether we can safely exclude them with no implication to the recovery and hopefully they would get back positively.

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
I am also encountering this ...

has this issue been resolved?

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
No. It still happening and only for server installed with Win2k3 r2.

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
Yep, my server is also Win2k3 R2
I already installed the MP2
but still am struggling with this error.

:(

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Finally, the problem has escalated to Symantec backline. Good news is that they managed to reproduce the problem. Bad new is, as usual, no news on when the fix would be available yet.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
An update for NB6 user,
Symantec engineering confirmed that this problem can be reproduced on NB6.
We're waiting for a hotfix from Symantec

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Guys
wats the status of the RSM service on the windows server is it running.

Adios
Ankur Kumar

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi Guys
wats the status of the RSM service on the windows server is it running.

Adios
Ankur Kumar