cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to take a copy of back up off site

Learningaboutda
Level 2

We have about 3 TB of data across 4 virtual servers running Redhat Linux on an IBM Blade Center. Net Backup for back up on IBM LTO Autoloader.  Compliance requires 15 years of Data to be available.

Q 1.  I would like to take a full back up out at least once a year.  Do I need additional tape drive to do that or the single drive of the autoloader help me create a copy that can be taken off site?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_dalton
Level 6

15 years presents some interesting challenges, not least when dealing with the need to restore.

Think floppy drives :are they 15yrs old? Do you have something that can read floppies? The same could be said of LTO some years down the line when I'm retired.

I'm not saying you are incorrect, but it it were me I would be checking the validity of that 15 yr requirement. Confusion can come about due to misunderstanding for example: some of our data requires 7year retention, other data retention for as long as the person is alive.

That has absolutely no bearing on the retention of our backups for this reason: the lifetime of the data are maintained within an app, a database. Thats the gatekeeper as far as data validity are concerned. We maintain our own cycle of backups and its the database , the app, that deals with data lifetimes. 

Your data problem is simple enough: do you have sufficient time to capture the data in a static form and write it to tape? What sort of data ? Database? What structure? What profile (ie the distribution of file counts versus file sizes, since small files are proportionally slower than large)? Server->tape connection? Which LTO?

We'll probably need some more numbers and some more detail.

Jim

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Does IBM auto loader taking any backups? if yes what is the speed that is going to this Drive?

and how much time you have to take the backup of this data?

the amount of speed that you have is able to write the 3 TB of data with in the time limit that you have then you are good to go.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You don't need an additional drive you just need additional media. Also keep in mind that if you want to keep something for 15 years, you'll need to duplicate it from the old media to new media at some stage. This is because either the media or the drive would be outdated after 15 years.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How many tape drives in your IBM LTO Autoloader?

If only one tape drive, you will need another tape drive to perform duplicates.

jim_dalton
Level 6

15 years presents some interesting challenges, not least when dealing with the need to restore.

Think floppy drives :are they 15yrs old? Do you have something that can read floppies? The same could be said of LTO some years down the line when I'm retired.

I'm not saying you are incorrect, but it it were me I would be checking the validity of that 15 yr requirement. Confusion can come about due to misunderstanding for example: some of our data requires 7year retention, other data retention for as long as the person is alive.

That has absolutely no bearing on the retention of our backups for this reason: the lifetime of the data are maintained within an app, a database. Thats the gatekeeper as far as data validity are concerned. We maintain our own cycle of backups and its the database , the app, that deals with data lifetimes. 

Your data problem is simple enough: do you have sufficient time to capture the data in a static form and write it to tape? What sort of data ? Database? What structure? What profile (ie the distribution of file counts versus file sizes, since small files are proportionally slower than large)? Server->tape connection? Which LTO?

We'll probably need some more numbers and some more detail.

Jim

Learningaboutda
Level 2

Hi

Thanks guys.  Each comment has given me a new insight.

1.  We are looking at new setup.  So have a choice of deciding what we want.  

2.  Will take into account possible technology changes in 15 years.

3.  This is a 9 - 5 organisation.  So there will be sufficient window for backup.

4.  ERP [Forms] is in Oracle 10i.  But some time next year it will be upgraded to some current ERP.