cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning - Can't open file

VS95
Level 2

Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing a minor problem lately with the backup of a Windows Server 2016 machine, agent version 7.7.3. The warning states as follows: 

Warning bpbrm (pid=3780) from client: WRN - can't open file: filename.chk (WIN32 1392: Unknown error)

The job is partially successful and ends with this warning. The job runs the MS-Windows policy. 

The NetBackup version of the master server is NetBackup 8.1.2.

How can I fix this?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

AFAIK ".chk" files are results from from the chkdsk tool.  You have to ask yourself, why is it there?  Might there be something important inside it?

But your error Win32 status code of decimal 1392 is listed here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/debug/system-error-codes--1300-1699-

...as:

ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT

1392 (0x570)

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

...so it looks like the .chk file itself is corrupt, and this is most unusual...

...it seems to me that the disk / volume that the .chk file is on is having quite a few problems... 

...so, I think you need to:

1) run a chkdsk now (but not a repair) and see what the result is

...if you have continued errors then: 2a) schedule a time to run a full chkdsk repair during boot/reboot

...if there are no more errors then: 2b) try deleting the stale old .chk file and retry the backup

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

AFAIK ".chk" files are results from from the chkdsk tool.  You have to ask yourself, why is it there?  Might there be something important inside it?

But your error Win32 status code of decimal 1392 is listed here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/debug/system-error-codes--1300-1699-

...as:

ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT

1392 (0x570)

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

...so it looks like the .chk file itself is corrupt, and this is most unusual...

...it seems to me that the disk / volume that the .chk file is on is having quite a few problems... 

...so, I think you need to:

1) run a chkdsk now (but not a repair) and see what the result is

...if you have continued errors then: 2a) schedule a time to run a full chkdsk repair during boot/reboot

...if there are no more errors then: 2b) try deleting the stale old .chk file and retry the backup

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This is a error reported by Windows (Win32:1392), it is not Netbackup failing.

ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT

For a quick fix, try to exclude the file from backup.

Update: SDO is faster than me :)

Hello sdo,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive answer. We checked the machine's event viewer and, as you suggested, there were quite a few errors regarding a corrupted disk.

We will try your fixes.

Best regards