cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to verify Netbackup Catalog backup

Tom_Cheung
Level 3

Hi all,

Recently, I have just changed the target of catalog backup from physically tape to OST and the job can be completed successfully. I would like to know is there any ways to verify the backup without performing a restore?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you go to the Catalog Section of the Admin Console and search for the catalog backup - so selecting Verify at the top left, the Master Server as the client, Copy 2 at the top right (to select the tape copy) and then search you should see your catalog backup images shown below in the results field.

Right click it (then) and select "verify"

This at least checks the details on the tape are OK

For a real test you would need to do an isolated restore on a DR / Test server.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you go to the Catalog Section of the Admin Console and search for the catalog backup - so selecting Verify at the top left, the Master Server as the client, Copy 2 at the top right (to select the tape copy) and then search you should see your catalog backup images shown below in the results field.

Right click it (then) and select "verify"

This at least checks the details on the tape are OK

For a real test you would need to do an isolated restore on a DR / Test server.

Hope this helps

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not really, the only way to know for 100% if a backup worked, is to restore it.  The second best option , is as Mark mentioned above.

Catalog restores from OST can be more complex than from tape.  I strongly recommend that you keep at least a one copy on tape.

Martin

Gautier_Leblanc
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Restore from OST is not complex, but storage on OST devices, with deduplication is more complex than on "simple" tapes.

Anyway, it is important to have 2 copies for backups, on 2 different hardware (or tapes), to prevent loose of datas if your target hardware fails.

For me, a "verify" if efficient enough to validate backup image.

Tom_Cheung
Level 3

Thanks for all your reply!