cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We Have MSSQL 2005 - Should We Upgrade to NetBackup 8.0 or 7.7.3 ?

huddie
Level 3

We Have MSSQL 2005 - Should We Upgrade to NetBackup 8.0 or 7.7.3 ?

I'm preparing to upgrade our NetBackup servers as our current version (v7.6.1.2) is EOSL.  However, I have a problem.  We are still gradually migrating our databases from an MSSQL Server 2005 cluster to a new MSSQL 2014 cluster.  This process will take months and the NetBackup upgrade cannot wait.  I'm aware that MSSQLServer 2005 is not supported in NetBackup beyond v7.6.1.2.  Worse still is it's running on Win2003SP2, which is, of course, also not supported.

I am proposing to go ahead and upgrade our NetBackup servers to v8.0 in the meantime, and keep the NetBackup Client on our SQL Server 2005 cluster at v7.6.1.2.  

Alternatively, I could upgrade the NetBackup servers to v7.7.3 and keep the NetBackup Client on our SQL Server 2005 cluster at 7.6.1.2.

So my questions are:

1. Would this work ?  Would our existing database and transaction log backup policies still work?  

2. If it would work, which NetBackup version would you recommend, v7.7.3 or v8.0 ?  I'm leaning towards v8.0 myself and a Symantec / Veritas support engineer told me yesterday it is the generally more stable of the two.

Please note that the fact that we still use Win2003 and MSSQL2005 is a matter which is largely beyond my control, so please don't post replies telling me about the risks this poses to our organisation - I already know and we're working on it.

Tags: Windows 2003 End of Support, SQL Server, NetBackup 7.6, NetBackup 8.0, 

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

1. Would this work ?  Would our existing database and transaction log backup policies still work?  

yes it works perfectly fine(see the screeshot from SORT)

versions.PNG

2. If it would work, which NetBackup version would you recommend, v7.7.3 or v8.0 ?  I'm leaning towards v8.0 myself and a Symantec / Veritas support engineer told me yesterday it is the generally more stable of the two.

i would perfer to go with V8.0 .

and V8.1 is few days away for GA( release on 9/26)

@RamNagalla wrote:

yes it works perfectly fine(see the screeshot from SORT)

versions.PNG

i would perfer to go with V8.0 .

and V8.1 is few days away for GA( release on 9/26)

Thanks Ram.  And sorry for taking so long to reply - I've been working on other projects.

huddie
Level 3

Has anyone else out there actually upgraded from 7.6 to 8.0 while still using MSSQL2005 ?  How did it work out for you ?

I haven't done this combination, but if you were to have a case in this area escalated to engineering, I might get it.

From my perspective, if the NetBackup server version supports the NetBackup client version, and the NetBackup client version supports your SQL Server version, you're good. The NetBackup server doesn't directly interact with SQL Server.