cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I miss in NetBackup - ideas for roadmap

Pulido
Not applicable

Hallo,

we are using NetBackup since last year, with version 7.6.1. During the migration of our backups from other backup softwares to NetBackup I found a lot of new interesting utilities which made things easier and more efficient. However, I also missed several features I had before that NetBackup had not. I will tell you the more important ones:

- I missed the definition of Schedules as entities. I normally use the same schedules for several policies, and I have to copy them from one policie to another. When I have to change one schedule, I have to change them one by one, going to each policy. I think that this issue could be simple to be included in new versions. What do you think?

- I have several policies with exclude lists. It would be great to be able to define the exclude lists and include lists from the console for each client, instead of having to write it in the NetBackup directory of the client. I do not have shell access to some of our linux servers with NetBackup agents and in those cases I can not use this feature. In the cases I have used it, I have loosed visibility of what is excluded and what is really included for that client from the console. The supervision of policies having many clients with exclude lists is tedious and that increases the possibility of having mistakes in these configurations.

- I missed to be able to select only one disk of a VMware Virtual Machine. I have the option to "exclude boot disk" or to "exclude data disks", but I have several VMs which have tree or more disks and I need to copy only one of the data disks. I have read that this issue concerns to VMware API, but it could be great if it was resolved.

What do you think about this? I would like that these ideas would reach the NetBackup Team so that they could study if they could be included in NetBackup roadmap for future versions, or not. That's why I wrote them here.

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup product managers are seemingly no longer checking Connect for Ideas. 
https://www.veritas.com/community/backup-and-recovery/ideas 

Your best chance of being heard is to get hold of the NetBackup SE at your local Veritas office and request that your Ideas be submitted to Product Management.

PS:
I will move this post to the NetBackup forum.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The ides are good, and have been discussed before as a improvement to Netbackup.

It is notorious difficult to reach Netbackup product management with ideas of improvement. When you at last get in contact with one, there are more than happy to get the feedback. Strange but true

Either contact local Veritas pre-sale or product management down at Vision in September 2016.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

I'm not with you on the schedules apsect, I've found that one of the principle reasons for having a new policy is quite often, and more often than we think, to run at a different time and/or to different storage - so to me, I like the fact that schedules are closely tied to policies.

But the exclude_lists - yes... in fact *all* client properties should, IMO, be on the master server, with greater immediate/faster visibility.

And I like the idea re disk selection for a VM - but... wouldn't we wouldn't want this to be tied at the policy layer, I think it would be better to have such a more granular client specific selection as a client attribute/property... maybe.