cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What OS to use for NBU master server?

jplally
Level 3

We currently have NBU 6.5.5 master server on AIX and 5 additional NBU media servers on AIX and 1 Windows 2003 media server. Overseas we have Windows master and media servers. Our AIX environment is going to be migrating to Linux (Suse). As part of a 'conversion' to NBU 7.x we are planning on deploying a new NBU master server. Our new media servers will be Linux since we use some 'Flash' backups and mount filesystems to the media servers. My question is what OS should I use for the new master server - Windows since there is some experience there already or Linux. One of the concerns with Windows is patching it. Any thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
But considering cost and management, it I'd better to use same OS with media servers.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

The most popular master server in terms of number of deployed systems is on Windows.

Since you are on AIX, a migration to Linux would be easier for you, and easier to maintain, than one on Windows.  One deployment release for your master and all your media servers would be my preference.

We made the migration from Windows to Solaris many years ago and never regretted it.  However, we're migrating from Solaris to Linux shortly (as soon as the hardware arrives) - we already have a (small) Linux master overseas and are phasing out Solaris.

Windows is fine if you're mostly a Windows shop or a smaller environment.  I would personally not touch it for a large environment (many people probably do so don't yell at me if you're one of them!).

Nathan_B
Level 4

I've been most happy with our Solaris masters in terms of stablity, speed, and it just doing what its supposed to do. We've had luck with a couple of RHEL masters, mostly on smaller builds. I worked for a client once who had Windows masters and they worked too. From my experience, I'd rate Solaris first, though it sounds like you aren't really going that direction, followed by Linux, then Windows, but like the others say, depending on the size of the build Windows would be fine if you're more comfortable with it.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

My point of view is use the same version which your clients are using, or on which OS you have expertise. Expertise leads you towards minimum down time.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am running netbackup on SUSE Linux with approx 2500 clients. Work great, but Symantec is always slower to support SUSE than Red Hat. Takes for example dedupe and FT media server in Netbackup 7 - Only supported on SUSE 10 SP2. No SUSE 11 support.

My advice for Linux would be using Red Hat.

Zahid_Haseeb

Dear jplally i would like to add one more thing. Kindly verify that if you are going to SUSE or any other linux, that linux flavor must have all addons(for example BMR,Pure Disk etc) supported with the OS(Linux,SUSE or etc) which you are going to chose. 

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

I would expect long-term that the SuSe vs RHEL battle may change since the PureDisk environment is all based on SuSe.  Today, RHEL may be the answer and is certainly what I would recommend (and am implementing) but I don't know if it will stay that way.  Disclaimer:  I'm a Red Hat Certified Engineer.

jplally
Level 3

Solaris is not an option. The Linux flavor they are looking at for our AIX conversion is Suse but Red Hat has not been ruled out. We have about 700 Windows client and about 150 AIX (soon to be Linux) clients. I have little Linux experience but am comfortable with AIX and my Windows experience is from supporting the 700 Windows NetBackup clients.

Zahid_Haseeb

Dear jplally i used the Solaris word just for example :).....So now i prefer you to go for windows because what i feel you think yourself more comfortable with windows instead with linux. I am using NBU Server 6.5.5 and 7 as well but i dont have that much clients as you have but i am relax while using NBU Server for Windows.

I would like to give you a suggestion. Ask an idea from Symantec support. They will sure relax you :) 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

We switched from HP-UX to Linux, I didn't find the change of UNIX OS challenging. Of course something work different, but the learning curve is soft.

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified

I agree with Zahid, use whatever you're most comfortable and/or skilled with.  Any of the supported Operating Systems will work, and I think it's more important that you be able to comfortably patch & maintain the OS than worrying about which one is marginally more efficient than another.

Zahid_Haseeb

Dear Jplally So what you have decided ? have you finalized something ?