cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What about an ISO for 7.6 client install on RedHat 64bit

pmc214
Level 5

(not a linux guy)

Our organizations Linux/Unix administrator was attempting to install NBU Client 7.6.0.1 on a RedHat 64bit server. He mentioned something about a size issue of the install and asked me if there was an ISO available for installing.

Anyone know if there is one out there or can I create one that would work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For NBU 7.6.0.1, ALL Linux client versions are contained in NetBackup_7.6.0.1_CLIENTS2.tar.gz.

If space to unzip and 'untar' is an issue, find one server with sufficient space and NFS share the software.

Alternatively, software can be push-installed from a Unix/Linux master or media server.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The best way of obtaining "clean" (or base) binaries if fileconnect.symantec.com

You will need your Netbackup serial number to download the files. 

Subsequent patches can be downloaded for support.symantec.com 

e.g. 7.6.0.4 patch

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH223695

Will_Restore
Level 6

Linux update is distributed as tar files not ISO.  I presume you are talking about large client software files:

Due to Web-site functional file size limits of 2Gb, the following file(s)
are binarily split. See directions below in order to join them back together
before extraction.

NB_CLT_7.x-tar_split.1of3
NB_CLT_7.x-tar_split.2of3
NB_CLT_7.x-tar_split.3of3

All unix types are bundled together, whether you need them or not.  We delete most client software after the upgrade and wish Symantec would split them up like the server software (AIX, Redhat, Solaris, SuSE) to reduce the footprint for download & install. 

Marianne
Level 6

For NBU 7.6.0.1, ALL Linux client versions are contained in NetBackup_7.6.0.1_CLIENTS2.tar.gz.

If space to unzip and 'untar' is an issue, find one server with sufficient space and NFS share the software.

Alternatively, software can be push-installed from a Unix/Linux master or media server.

pmc214
Level 5

Thanks.

I certainly havent heard of making an ISO out of a TAR, but he mentioned it so i threw it out there.

We obtained all the installs from fileconnect.

My understanding of what he is finding is limited, something about the client install is taking up alot of space unpacking and he didnt want to have to extract or delete to make it work in limited space??? ...make any since?

So basically he will have to make what we have work for his situation, yes?

Marianne
Level 6

Try my suggestion above:

This way, no software needs to be extracted/unpacked on each client. Simply NFS mount.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

NOTES - Names of NetBackup "SERVER" kits versus names of NetBackup "CLIENT" kits
=====================================================================

The following is regarding NetBackup Server and NetBackup Client kits for Linux and Unix.
The following does not cover either the NetBackup Server nor the NetBackup Client kits for Windows.

The NetBackup "server" kits come in "base" install kits, and "patch" update kits.
The NetBackup "client" kits also come in "base" install kits, and "patch" update kits...
...but - the server and client kits are formed differently.

..example "base" server kit names:      ..example "patch" server kit names:
  NetBackup_7.5_LinuxR_x86_64.tar.gz    NB_7.5.0.7.linuxR_x86.tar
  NetBackup_7.5_LinuxS_x86_64.tar.gz    NB_7.5.0.7.linuxS_x86.tar
  NetBackup_7.5_Solaris_Sparc64.tar.gz  NB_7.5.0.7.solaris.tar
  NetBackup_7.5_Solaris_x86.tar.gz      NB_7.5.0.7.solaris_x86.tar

..example "base" client kit name:       ..example "patch" client kit names:
  NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz          NB_CLT_7.5.0.7.tar

A typical problem for backup admins is that the "CLIENTS" base, and the "CLT" patch, kits are both quite large at around 4 GB each... which can quite often be too large to copy down to clients, especially small guest VM instances.

Also note that the base CLIENTS kit tar ball will untar into a folder named "NetBackup_7.5_Clients", whereas the patch kit effectively untars in to the current folder - i.e. if both tar files are unpacked, then the base kit will un-tar in to a sub-folder, whereas the patch kit does not.

And - yet another quirk/difference between the "client base" and "client patch" kits is that:
    client base  kit:    contains a folder structure      for different Unix/Linux O/S family variants
    client patch kit:    contains tar balls                    for different Unix/Linux O/S family variants

...and yet another point to make is that the folders (in the base kit) and the tar balls (in the patch kit) can themselves contain kits for multiple different variants of O/S family and type, e.g. the Solaris folder (in the base kit) and the Solaris tarball (in the patch kit) both actually contain three different kits:
    one for Solaris 9 on Sparc
    one for Solaris 10 on Sparc
    one for Solaris 10 on Intel

What would be quite useful for backup admins is to have individual base, and individual patch, kits for each variant of Unix/Linux backup clients - e.g. to separate out the Linux and Solaris clients into their own base and their own patch kits.

Final point: certain platform folders within a family of O/S client kits can contain sym-links to files that are present in other nearby folders within the same family platform.  For instance, the Linux SuSE folder references files in the Linux RedHat folder, which means that if (when) we try to create the smallest possible Linux "SuSE only" client files that we need to specifically reference certain files and folders, but also use the "--derefence" (aka "-h") of tar create, so that target files are included in the smaller kits, and not what would effectively be sym-links to non-existent files when un-tared.

@pcm214 - if you post another thread requesting a process/procedure to make smaller kits - I'll reply with some example processes.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

See here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/processprocedure-make-smaller-client-install-kits

...for an example procedure to split NetBackup Client v7.6.1(.2) kits down to smaller sizes.