cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What and How is NetBackup 7

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Hello Guys,

I hope you are started evaluating NetBackup 7.0. It have lot of new features. Here are some of them.

New features:

Integrated deduplication
■ Client deduplication
■ Media server deduplication
■ OpsCenter
■ Convergence of NOM and VBR
■ Improved ease-of-use
■ Additional base reporting functionality
■ Direct upgrade path
■ Expanded and simplified deployment
■ OpsCenter Analytics
■ Turnkey operation to enable advanced, business reporting
■ Improved reporting features

■ NetBackup for VMware
■ Fully integrated with VMware vStorage APIs
■ New VM and file recovery from incremental backups
■ New recovery wizard
■ Tighter vCenter integration
■ Guided Recovery
■ New database agents and enhancements to existing agents
■ Exchange 2010 support
■ Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 client support
■ Enhancements to the NetBackup Enterprise Vault agent
- Support all Enterprise Vault 8.0 databases using the Enterprise Vault
Agent including the Fingerprint database, FSA Reporting database, and
Auditing database
- Enterprise Vault 8.0 support for granular quiescence
- Enterprise Vault Migrator is now included with NetBackup
■ Enhancements to the NetBackup for Hyper-V agent
- New file-level incremental backups
- Two types of off-host backup
- Hyper-V R2 and Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV)
- Flexible VM identification
■ Improved SharePoint Granular Recovery
■ New platform proliferation
■ NetBackup 7.0 supported platforms
■ NetBackup 7.0 feature notifications

Known Issues:

• Domain is OpsCenterusers@domain not NOMBuiltin@domain ; that is an error in the documentation.  The userid and password are admin and password
  • Master server version reports NetBackup 3.4 incorrectly
  • After Windows Reboot, OpsCenter fails to start.  Fix is to Restart the Authentication Service then start the OpsCenter Services.
  • Pop-Up Blocker prevents the OpsCenter interface from initializing.  Turn off Pop-Up blocker to run OpsCenter.
  • On 64 bit windows systems, OpsCenter install or upgrade might fail. Install "VC2005 x86" from the DVD (<DVD Drive>\x86\Server\Prerequisites\vcredist_x86.exe)
  •  If OpsCenter installation failed due to any reason, the roolback and cleanup may not happen correctly in some scenarios. The fix is to execute the command “  SC DELETE OPSCENTERSERVER”
  • The Windows/Solaris installation will fail if the OpsCenter host is not part of any domain name. (host is not qualified with a suffix such as “min.veritas.com”)  Workaround:  The solution is to add a domain suffix and then re-install
  • Drive throughput and Drive utilization reports don’t work in some scenarios
  • Creation of a custom report doesn’t work if user chooses Absolute timeframe option
  •  Deduplication reports (Size factor,  Protected Size vs. Backed up Size, Size Savings reports) don’t work in a PDDE environment. They only work in a standalone PureDisk environment.

I wanted all of guys to share new experience in working Netbackup 7.0.

Share us the New Finding/Errors.

63 REPLIES 63

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I found that "The Symantec NetBackup 7.0 Beta program is currently closed". Do you know if it's still possible to get 7.0 version for Solaris SPARC?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
That is a FINE cut and paste of TechNote 336166.

Symantec NetBackup 7.0 Beta Program
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/336166

I'm a little curious if you had a reason for starting this thread beyond getting your 1 point, however.  ;)

OK, I see you also posted some Known Issues for OpsCenter.  Where'd you get those?  Hopefully we fix most of them before 7.0 comes out!

gavrilov, I think we're done bringing folks into this beta but it doesn't cost you anything to send an email to the address listed in that TechNote - worst that happens is they tell you "no."  :)

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
 Crz.. i want to get more experience in Netbackup 7. this is not meant to get points.

that known issues is given by a symantec guy who is contacting Netbackup 7 beta.

I would like to know how other guys are doing with in their environment.

This post is just for guys who are testing Netbackup 7 in their. they can post their activities and issues facing.

Hope you got my point.

Mike_Gavrilov
CRZ, you are right. 
But then you see that the shop is "closed" i think it's not always good to knoсk and ask "Is it really closed?" :)

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Datacenters in Virtual Center Server are located in a folder and when tries to browse for virtual machines in the backup policy,
nothing shows up and no errors.

When moves the datacenters  from the folder , so that they are directly under the virtual center, the browse for virtual machines works just fine.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
My take on it is, if we didn't take the email address out, you can still use it.  :)  Dealer's choice!

Mike_Gavrilov
I'm already downloading 7.0 :) Thank you for good advice :)

NavA
Level 4
one of the features i liked is policy auditing in opscenter. You can keep track of policy changes and also gives you option to restore older version of the policy.

Amit_Karia
Level 6

If any one has used 7.0 wanted to know what is the upgrade process from 6.5 to 7.. nbpushdata is required or it is plain upgrade like 6.0 to 6.5?

NavA
Level 4
If you are talking about 7.0 Beta it only supports clean installation.

Quote from NB70_Beta_Priemer.pdf
"Upgrades from a previous NetBackup Alpha, Beta, or an earlier version of
NetBackup to this Beta release are not supported."

Amit_Karia
Level 6
For beta release clean install is alright..but once 7.0 is released there must be option to upgrade from previous enterprise release like 6.5

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
1. Detailed policy change interface 2. Vm dns,display,uid name in a single policy 3. Windows NT policy type renamed to mswindows and more

Suny
Level 3
Does this Support VMware servers backed up directly without a VCB?

Anonymous
Not applicable
It will be interesting to see what recommendations/procedures are to upgrade for some server platforms. From the NetBackup 7 primer doc I read they are removing 32bit binaries of the software in favour of 64bit . Thats great.

But, I have a 32bit SLES 10 install as my NetBackup Master, running of course what was available at the time - 32 bit binaries for NetBackup 6.5
Now they are only releasing 64 bit binaries for v 7.0 of NetBackup servers on SLES.

So a new OS install, and fresh NB install if going to NetBackup 7.0? Then recover catalog?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I thought if you were in the beta program you were not allowed to disseminate information on the product?

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner
Does anyone know if you can run NetBackup OPScenter in a NetBackup 6.5 environment? The reason I am asking is that we try to run NOM but it crashed a few weeks ago and we havn't been able to solve the problem and get the NOM up and running again (not even symantec support).

Kind Regards
Andreas

turhan_sensoy
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Andreas,

I am also looking for that information. If you able to ind can you share it with me.

Thanks

MattS
Level 6
I dont know for sure, but because NOM and backup reporter have always been able to monitor backwards compatible versions of NetBackup I think its safe to say that it will be able to. 

I was able to test this a few months ago and it is not comparible to NOM or backup reporter.  It functions similar to Command Central, but better in my opinion.

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
I am in the process of getting my hands on th 7.0 Ops Center Code.  Once I have tested it I will reply with my results.