cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What and How is NetBackup 7

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Hello Guys,

I hope you are started evaluating NetBackup 7.0. It have lot of new features. Here are some of them.

New features:

Integrated deduplication
■ Client deduplication
■ Media server deduplication
■ OpsCenter
■ Convergence of NOM and VBR
■ Improved ease-of-use
■ Additional base reporting functionality
■ Direct upgrade path
■ Expanded and simplified deployment
■ OpsCenter Analytics
■ Turnkey operation to enable advanced, business reporting
■ Improved reporting features

■ NetBackup for VMware
■ Fully integrated with VMware vStorage APIs
■ New VM and file recovery from incremental backups
■ New recovery wizard
■ Tighter vCenter integration
■ Guided Recovery
■ New database agents and enhancements to existing agents
■ Exchange 2010 support
■ Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 client support
■ Enhancements to the NetBackup Enterprise Vault agent
- Support all Enterprise Vault 8.0 databases using the Enterprise Vault
Agent including the Fingerprint database, FSA Reporting database, and
Auditing database
- Enterprise Vault 8.0 support for granular quiescence
- Enterprise Vault Migrator is now included with NetBackup
■ Enhancements to the NetBackup for Hyper-V agent
- New file-level incremental backups
- Two types of off-host backup
- Hyper-V R2 and Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV)
- Flexible VM identification
■ Improved SharePoint Granular Recovery
■ New platform proliferation
■ NetBackup 7.0 supported platforms
■ NetBackup 7.0 feature notifications

Known Issues:

• Domain is OpsCenterusers@domain not NOMBuiltin@domain ; that is an error in the documentation.  The userid and password are admin and password
  • Master server version reports NetBackup 3.4 incorrectly
  • After Windows Reboot, OpsCenter fails to start.  Fix is to Restart the Authentication Service then start the OpsCenter Services.
  • Pop-Up Blocker prevents the OpsCenter interface from initializing.  Turn off Pop-Up blocker to run OpsCenter.
  • On 64 bit windows systems, OpsCenter install or upgrade might fail. Install "VC2005 x86" from the DVD (<DVD Drive>\x86\Server\Prerequisites\vcredist_x86.exe)
  •  If OpsCenter installation failed due to any reason, the roolback and cleanup may not happen correctly in some scenarios. The fix is to execute the command “  SC DELETE OPSCENTERSERVER”
  • The Windows/Solaris installation will fail if the OpsCenter host is not part of any domain name. (host is not qualified with a suffix such as “min.veritas.com”)  Workaround:  The solution is to add a domain suffix and then re-install
  • Drive throughput and Drive utilization reports don’t work in some scenarios
  • Creation of a custom report doesn’t work if user chooses Absolute timeframe option
  •  Deduplication reports (Size factor,  Protected Size vs. Backed up Size, Size Savings reports) don’t work in a PDDE environment. They only work in a standalone PureDisk environment.

I wanted all of guys to share new experience in working Netbackup 7.0.

Share us the New Finding/Errors.

63 REPLIES 63

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
I found the following white paper

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-nbu_7_opscenter_analytics_WP.en-us.pdf

The OpsCenter Agent collects data from various Symantec and third-party backup/ archiving products. These products can reside on the OpsCenter Agent host or on remote hosts. The OpsCenter Agent relies on the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to perform its functions. The OpsCenter Agent also requires embedded AT (Symantec Product Authentication Service) to authenticate itself with the OpsCenter Server. Both JRE and AT libraries are installed automatically with the Agent installation. OpsCenter Agent is supported on Windows and Solaris platforms.

OpsCenter formats the information collected by the OpsCenter Agent from the following target products and displays it through the OpsCenter console

 Symantec NetBackup (versions prior to 7)
 Symantec Backup Exec (Windows only)
 Symantec Enterprise Vault (Windows only)
 EMC Legato Networker
 IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

So... it looks like the answer, as everyone assumed, is YES!

peng_zhang
Level 3
gavrilov, can you tell me where you download netbackup 7.0?

You can also send me the mail. zsp226@yahoo.com.cn

thank you.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
 When can i expect Netbackup 7.0 Official Full release?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It should be available on FileConnect right now.  I believe it was available from Wednesday.

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
I have downloaded 7.0 from File Connect.

Some interesting notes:

ICS, Docs, OpsCenter, Java, and Server are now packaged within the same image (fewer downloads, and a DVD image rather than CD images)

NetBackup 6.5 was ~35 CD-ROMS, 7.0 boils down to 11 DVD Images

15.5 GB Total download (18 Files)

Real Time Protection, and the Windows Install files come in multi-part downloads

copy /b "NetBackup_7.0_Win_GA-zip.1of2"+"NetBackup_7.0_Win_GA-zip.2of2", "NetBackup_7.0_Win_GA.zip"

copy /b "NetBackup_RealTime_Protection_7.0_EN.iso.1of3"+"NetBackup_RealTime_Protection_7.0_EN.iso.2of3"+"NetBackup_RealTime_Protection_7.0_EN.iso.3of3" , "NetBackup_RealTime_Protection_7.0_EN.iso"

All on one line.

peng_zhang
Level 3
I have no File Connect credentials, how should we do?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You SHOULD have some FileConnect access if you have a serial number.  If you don't, you'll need to talk to your sales contact and get hooked up.  (DISCLAIMER: As I am in Support, I unfortunately have no idea how that works...sorry)

I'll send you to the same TechNote I always send people to:

How to obtain the installation source download and license keys for NetBackup Server, NetBackup Enterprise Server, and components.
  http://support.veritas.com/docs/308850

Good luck!

Pinku
Level 5
NetBackup for VMware:

Its a new feature added to Netbackup 7, can anyone tell me why we can't take backup of virtual images via Netbackup 6.x
I am aware of Microsoft system data center protection software used for virtual images, but why not Netbackup 6.x.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Getting ready to install 7.0 on my production environment and saw this:

Starting with NetBackup 7.0, VSP is no longer supported. That leaves Microsoft’s Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) as the only choice for an open file backup for Windows clients. In addition, there is a binary incompatibility in the 32-bit Windows XP version of VSS. For this reason, NetBackup does not support VSS on the 32-bit Windows XP operating system. Therefore, there are no supported, open file backup solutions for this platform. Symantec recommends that you leave 32-bit Windows XP clients at the latest level of NetBackup 6.5 and do not upgrade them to NetBackup 7.0. That enables you to use VSP to continue to support open file backup, which is still supported on the latest NetBackup 6.5 version.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Gerald- Thanks for your sharing.. Nice to hear this kind of Points instead reading docs and get all informations..

I don't have much time to study all docs :) but i know without reading nothing is possible :)

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
A lot of changes to 7.0 better start reading. Did you know also that you cannot perform HOST deduplication on Windows 2003 x86 systems? Only x64 supported and you require Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1.

The following is a list of the supported platforms for NetBackup Deduplication:
■ Solaris SPARC 10 x64
Solaris requires an encryption package (SUNWcry64). You must download and
install the package. It is not part of the Solaris installation media, and Symantec
cannot distribute the package.
■ Red Hat Enterprise Linux:
Supported Platforms
About server and client platform support
■ Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.5 x64 (and higher)
■ Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.x x64 (and higher)
On Red Hat Linux, configure the shared memory to be at least 128MB
(SHMMAX=128MB). If you do not, deduplication processes may not start, or
run correctly.
■ SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (SLES 10) x64
The SUSE Linux system must be at patch level 2.
■ Windows 2003 x64
Windows 2003 SP2 x64 systems require Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1.
■ Windows 2008 x64
■ Windows 2008 R2 x64
Linux systems must have at least the same amount of swap space as physical
memory space. If swap space is less than physical memory, database problems
may affect installation and performance.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Gerald,
I'm quite excited about your imminent upgrade - let us know how it goes...
Just one thing - have you double-checked your license keys? The dedup function is separately licensed and requires disk storage.

gameOver
Level 3
Hello

How did you manage to upgrade all Windows clients at once? Were you using Browser.exe file? For me reinstalling/upgrading with browser.exe client will get hostname instead off FQHN and connection to Master server suffers.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
@Marianne - will sure keep you guys posted and am crossing my fingers everything goes well.
@gameover - I haven't done the upgrade yet but I think network install should simplify the clients installation.

peng_zhang
Level 3
Q. I am an existing NetBackup customer; is there a charge for upgrading?
A. No. For customers who are on current maintenance, upgrading to NetBackup 7 is free. However, it is important to note that
such advanced features as deduplication, replication, and analytics reporting—which are now integrated into NetBackup
7—do need to be purchased as licensed add-ons. So customers who have not licensed these capabilities in their previous
NetBackup 6.x environment will need to purchase an add-on license for these advanced features, often at a discounted price.

That if the previous 6.5 version of the data de-duplication puredisk's license is exist , does it necessory to  buy the netbackup 7.0' de-duplication license?

Giroevolver
Level 6
Hi Guys,

I have upgraded our full production environment to 7 and it went without a hitch. We have all Windows servers currently running 2003 R2 64x / 2008.

Client upgrades works fine using the push function for 32 and 64bit. I wouldn't reccommend doing it on a MS cluster though!

If you have any windows 2000 or NT severs they are not supported on 7 so leave the clients on 6.5 and it all works ok. This is due to the VSP not being used anymore and only VSS being used in 7.

Slight tweaks required in the VMware polices if you want to take advantage of the vstorage api's which need to be change to full mapped VM's to use block level incremental backups with full backups.

Dedupe looks very good but once configured with a username and password it cant be changed or completely uninstalled and requires a rebuild/reinstall of NetBackup if you want to put it back on the same storage/media server so be warned!

MattS
Level 6
NB 6.x can backup vmware.  It uses vmware's VCB.

alazanowski
Level 5
We have a windows Server 2008 R2 that we will be putting into Netbackup 7.0 to be a master. Will we be able to use the PDDO plugin for puredisk 6.6 SPA? We don't want to have to rebuild any storage pool for deduplication. It would be nice if this is still compatible.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The best place to find information at this point in time is the NBU7 documentation.
PDDO is covered in the Deduplication Guide.

alazanowski
Level 5
Just so people know, you can have PDDO with the SPA on puredisk 6.6 OR netbackup deduplication. you cannot have both. I performed an upgrade so i do not know what a clean install would do without the plugin already existant but it worked immediately (even after i removed the puredisk agent for the install of 7).

And Marianne - I always look at documentation first before posting - we all know that sometimes, even with symantec printing a ton of words on a subject, something simple can be very unclear. Thats the intent of this connect community. Thanks.