cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What and How is NetBackup 7

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
Hello Guys,

I hope you are started evaluating NetBackup 7.0. It have lot of new features. Here are some of them.

New features:

Integrated deduplication
■ Client deduplication
■ Media server deduplication
■ OpsCenter
■ Convergence of NOM and VBR
■ Improved ease-of-use
■ Additional base reporting functionality
■ Direct upgrade path
■ Expanded and simplified deployment
■ OpsCenter Analytics
■ Turnkey operation to enable advanced, business reporting
■ Improved reporting features

■ NetBackup for VMware
■ Fully integrated with VMware vStorage APIs
■ New VM and file recovery from incremental backups
■ New recovery wizard
■ Tighter vCenter integration
■ Guided Recovery
■ New database agents and enhancements to existing agents
■ Exchange 2010 support
■ Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 client support
■ Enhancements to the NetBackup Enterprise Vault agent
- Support all Enterprise Vault 8.0 databases using the Enterprise Vault
Agent including the Fingerprint database, FSA Reporting database, and
Auditing database
- Enterprise Vault 8.0 support for granular quiescence
- Enterprise Vault Migrator is now included with NetBackup
■ Enhancements to the NetBackup for Hyper-V agent
- New file-level incremental backups
- Two types of off-host backup
- Hyper-V R2 and Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV)
- Flexible VM identification
■ Improved SharePoint Granular Recovery
■ New platform proliferation
■ NetBackup 7.0 supported platforms
■ NetBackup 7.0 feature notifications

Known Issues:

• Domain is OpsCenterusers@domain not NOMBuiltin@domain ; that is an error in the documentation.  The userid and password are admin and password
  • Master server version reports NetBackup 3.4 incorrectly
  • After Windows Reboot, OpsCenter fails to start.  Fix is to Restart the Authentication Service then start the OpsCenter Services.
  • Pop-Up Blocker prevents the OpsCenter interface from initializing.  Turn off Pop-Up blocker to run OpsCenter.
  • On 64 bit windows systems, OpsCenter install or upgrade might fail. Install "VC2005 x86" from the DVD (<DVD Drive>\x86\Server\Prerequisites\vcredist_x86.exe)
  •  If OpsCenter installation failed due to any reason, the roolback and cleanup may not happen correctly in some scenarios. The fix is to execute the command “  SC DELETE OPSCENTERSERVER”
  • The Windows/Solaris installation will fail if the OpsCenter host is not part of any domain name. (host is not qualified with a suffix such as “min.veritas.com”)  Workaround:  The solution is to add a domain suffix and then re-install
  • Drive throughput and Drive utilization reports don’t work in some scenarios
  • Creation of a custom report doesn’t work if user chooses Absolute timeframe option
  •  Deduplication reports (Size factor,  Protected Size vs. Backed up Size, Size Savings reports) don’t work in a PDDE environment. They only work in a standalone PureDisk environment.

I wanted all of guys to share new experience in working Netbackup 7.0.

Share us the New Finding/Errors.

63 REPLIES 63

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
 Great OpsCenter on NetBackup 7.0 supports to control below backup/archiving products.

Symantec NetBackup 6.0 MP7, 6.5 and higher Symantec NetBackup 7.0 and higher Symantec NetBackup PureDisk 6.2.x, 6.5.x, 6.6 Symantec Backup Exec 10.x, 11.x, 12.x Symantec Enterprise Vault 7.5, 8.0 EMC Legato NetWorker 6.x, 7.3 IBM Tivoli Stoarage Manager (TSM) 5.3, 5.4, 5.5

from Symantec NetBackup ™ Enterprise Server and Server 7.x OS 
  Software Compatibility List ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/337048.pdf

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
I dont want this Thread Subject to be "Known Issues" , I am feeling NetBackup 7.0 is too Good.. We all guys share our  Experience on NetBackup 7.0 Here..

Appreciate your comments. Thanks !

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Just finished upgrading to 7.0, everything seems to be running smoothly but will definitely keep a close eye this evening.

Platform windows 2003 SP2, 1 master, 7 Full media servers and 1 Opscenter. Just remembered to configure email notifications - on 7.0 the nbmail.cmd is installed on goodies directory instead of bin directory.

MattS
Level 6
For those who have upgraded, im curious what types of backups you are performing?  Which options are you all using?

For example, i am using:

-File level backups for:
  • windows 2003 x86/x64
  • windows 2008 R2
  • Solaris 9/10 SPARC
  • RHEL4/5 x64
-Data Base options:
  • Oracle
  • SQL
  • Exchange 2007
-VMware
  • Using VCB 1.51 
-NDMP
  • NetApp filer - just backing up file shares direct over SAN.

This will help the rest of us understand how to compare to our own environments.

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
I must admit 7.0 is very stable and runs smoothly. Almost one week since upgrade and not a single issue. My catalogs backups (images) was very slow at first - has been slowing down since 6.5.2A but I managed to fix it with Marianne's help!

Not happy with Opscenter still but overall..........Kudos Symantec

AlanTLR
Level 5
You mention better Sharepoint Granular Recovery, but I haven't found any documentation on the differences between this and 6.5.4.  Does anyone know what is "better" about it?

MattBucher
Not applicable
I'm receiving tons of socket read write errors, the processors (2 dual cores) get pegged at 100% at night, and there are thousands of processes.  After a reboot the processes go down to a couple of hundred but keep growing in number.  The processes are mostly vnetd, bpstsinfo and bpcd.  Occasionally the console won't open either, and lots of backup job failures.  I'm putting in a support call even after just finishing one.  Repairs don't work either...conflicting with msi.exec.

balboa41
Level 2

Have anyone use NetBackup v.7 to protect Hyper-V R2 Clusters with CSV enabled?  Does it works without any problems???

Please let me know as I have a new client who contracted me to deploy the cluster in the next days and he is considering buying NetBackup 7 to protect the infrastructure.  Please give me any details that you consider important.

Thanks in advance!

Jose Angel Rivera.

Dave_Drummond
Level 3
This works absolutely fine as per the admin guide - just setup a policy pointing to the cluster, search for virtual machines and add them in.  Note it won't automatically back up all VMs or pick up new ones.

Minor gotcha - it appears that full backups of fixed VHDs backup the entire disk even if it is mostly empty. 

I'd also watch out trying to backup all of the VMs simultaneously as you could get disk contention.  I limit to 1 job per policy and have one policy per LUN - depends on how your clsuter disks are laid out.

balboa41
Level 2

I appreciate your help.  Do you know where can I find that "Admin Guide" that you refer??  I really need to read it!!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

All NBU 7 manuals can be found here:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/341274.htm

yonatan
Not applicable
Hey 
Does Netbackup 7.0 support windows server 2008 HPC ??

Symanticus
Level 6
Hi All,

May I know where can I download Netbackup 7 trial software ?

I have physical Solaris SPARC 10 x64 that I'd like to backup as whole image (more like BESR 2010) I've tried with BE 2010 RALUS but it can only backup flat file not even open file :|

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can not download netbackup trial. You have to contact a sales rep. And netbackup is not so straight forward as BENT or BESR are.

With netbackup you can have a full solaris (and other unix systems) recovery with BMR or backup and restore a row disk with flashbackup. (with flashbackup you cannot backup the” boot” disk.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
You will probably need to go through your sales rep initially to discuss an evaluation license then (with the correct information in hand) the s/w can be downloaded via FileConnect.

7.0 Download Information

"...
A serial number is required to initiate the software download through FileConnect.   This serial number is specific to the FileConnect site and is not the NetBackup product license key.  The serial number will either come with an upgrade or purchase letter.
..."

Shakil_Qureshi
Level 5

hi all,

my contarct is via SUN, how can i get the serial number then ?

Symanticus
Level 6
Good news man,

Download NetBackup 7.0 direct. (Symantec Connect user and pass required)

You can still get the software for NBU 7.0 from this link.
http://www.symantec.com/offer?a_id=91443

S
pecial Thanks to Stuart Greene.

Peter_E
Level 4
Employee

Per the release notes: With NetBackup 7.0, you can reap the benefits of the more comprehensive granular recovery capabilities [released in NBU 6.5.4] along with faster granular recovery with the metadata intact.

Other than that, no major enhancements for SharePoint aside from the fixes added in 6.5.6 and the hotfix for 6.5.5

cgoliver
Level 5

So no dedup engine on HP-UX?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

your sales rep should be able to supply you with your serial numbers.