cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need to make Netbackup 6.5 SAN Client runing

legendli
Level 3

I have a Netbackup 6.5 Master/Media server on a windows 2003 R2 server.  Now we need to backup a large data from SAN to the tape. We have a HP msl6060 tape library with 4 drivers and connected via Fibre with Netbackup master/media server.

Now we backuped data in the SAN via LAN, we're going to backup those large data via SAN to save the backup time. I already installed Veritas client on the application serverLotus Domino), the SAN client and FT transport service already started on this server, in the master/media server I already can see this application server in the master server .

11 REPLIES 11

legendli
Level 3
Continue....

But in the master/media server we can't see any FT devices that reported by the SAN Client. Also, the backup job still go though LAN.

I read the document of "shared storage option" and I am not sure if the SAN client have to work with a FT media server or can work with a standard media server? If the FT media server equal San media server? If the FT media server or San media server only can run under Unix or Linux? Does it mean I can't use SAN client under windows environment?

BTW I already licensed the SAN client.

Any help will be highly appreciate.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6
 to backup data over SAN you have to use media server becuase client cant take backup only through LAN, Client can't see the FC Tape Drives directly connected with tape library where as media server can dirctly see and use the tape drives. 

client dont own storage unit, it always use storage unit of some media server. media server do own a storage unit. 

scorpy_582
Level 6
CHeck the configuration again.

Go through these guides carefully:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293110.htm
DOCUMENTATION: SAN Client Deployment - Best Practices and Performance Metrics

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288437.htm
NetBackup SAN Client and Fibre Transport Troubleshooting Guide (Revision B) (updated July 15, 2008)

I am sure these docs will help you 

legendli
Level 3
Thanks all of you, I'll go through those documents, but any idea if the SAN Client can work with my standard media server that running under Windows?  Because I remember that the SAN media server can only running under Unix?

legendli
Level 3
OK, I went though those 2 documents again, as mentioned in those document, FT media server only supported on Red Hat 4 update 3 Linux x86_64 and 64
bit Solaris 9/10 Sparc systems. Plus the SAN client need the FT media server, so this means with Netbackup 6.5,  we can't use SAN backup at all in a pure windows environment?? Please correct me if I am wrong, Thanks a lot.

scorpy_582
Level 6
In your pure windows environment, you can configure SAN media servers which will do the job for you.

SAN media server can backup only itself .. This way, it will move data over SAN.

You will require license for SAN media server.

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

by this time you woud have got clear idea, what is the difference between SAN media server; FT media server and SAN Client. FT media server is useful when you need to backup multiple large clients, with less library resources. i recommend to go for SAN media server and SSO for you requirement. in detail you can make your large client a media server and share your library between your master and media server. robot control host will be your master server.

FT media server requires specific OS and addtional HBA's to change them to target mode.

legendli
Level 3
Hi SrikanthGubbala, 

You are right, actually, I tried to read a lot of document from Symantec, almost none of them mentioned "SAN media server",  is anyone know how to install the SAN media server for Windows in Veritas Netbackup 6.5????

PS: As symantec mentioned the enterprise client license already included SAN client and SAN media server, I do have a Enteprise client license, so does it mean I already have the license of SAN Media server?

scorpy_582
Level 6
Enterprise client does have a license for SAN media server.

There is no seperate installation that you would need.

Its just the license that makes the difference. 

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
is anyone know how to install the SAN media server for Windows in Veritas Netbackup 6.5????
you need to know the meaning behind the terminolgy. SAN media server is a media server which will backup its own data only locally(can say SAN as drives are zoned via fibre), FT media server is a media server which can backup other large clients via SAN.

now for SAN media server configuration..

1.install media server software on the large client.
2. create a zoneon switch, which includes master server, media server and 4 tape drives
3. add the media server to the master server and update emm server on master server.
4. apply SS0 license on both the servers.
5. do storage device inventory on master server and make master as robot control host.
6. test backup both on master and media.
once you start a job on master and media, one drive for each will be allocated.
 let me know for further clarifications

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
don't forget to get the SAN MEDIA license for a windows server.