cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do these errors mean?.. This stuffs a nightmare

Tim_Dile
Level 5
I'm having no successful backups.. All media / drives are new. This stuffs a nightmare. We have 4 drives 2 media servers using SSO.

12/05/2005 14:58:35 - Warning bpbrm(pid=4076) from client testbak01: WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32 21: Unknown error)

--------------------------------------------------------------

12/05/2005 14:53:55 - Warning bpbrm(pid=1520) from client testbak02: WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32 21: Unknown error)
12/05/2005 14:57:26 - Error bptm(pid=3280) cannot write image to media id RMT530, drive index 0, The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
12/05/2005 14:57:28 - Error bpbrm(pid=1520) from client testbak02: ERR - bpbkar exiting because backup is aborting
12/05/2005 14:57:02 - end writing; write time: 00:08:01
media write error(84)
12/05/2005 14:57:02 - Error bpsched(pid=2428) suspending further backup attempts for client testbak02, policy Test_Media_Server_2, schedule Full because it has exceeded the configured number of tries
12/05/2005 14:57:02 - Error bpsched(pid=2428) backup of client testbak02 exited with status 84 (media write error)
11 REPLIES 11

Tim_Dile
Level 5
Event viewer errors

Remote scan failed on host testbak01, drive IBMULTRIUM-TD22, Host is not the scan host for this shared drive (304)

Remote scan failed on host testbak01, drive IBMULTRIUM-TD21, Host is not the scan host for this shared drive (304)

ACS(0) Unsuccessful response returned by Mount command sequence 4, ACS status = 31, STATUS_DRIVE_OFFLINE
ACS(0) mount failure for volume RMT531 on drive (0,0,0,3), ACS status = 31, STATUS_DRIVE_OFFLINE

David_Kies
Level 4
Certified
From the command line run vmdareq. Does the host testbak01 have an entry for the tape drive in question? The answer is probably no. I made a reply to your other question regading device configurations and this is also a symptom of mismapped drives under SSO. There are some other possibilties, but I would look into to the drive mapping first. Also, from your ACSLS host, query the drives to get their true status. "query drive all"

David_Kies
Level 4
Certified
Also disable the RSM service on Windows.

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
Tim,

This line tells you that the drive is offline at the ACS host:

ACS(0) Unsuccessful response returned by Mount command sequence 4, ACS status = 31, STATUS_DRIVE_OFFLINE
ACS(0) mount failure for volume RMT531 on drive (0,0,0,3), ACS status = 31, STATUS_DRIVE_OFFLINE

You need to find out why the drive was taken offline by ACS or if someone else took it offline. ACSLS setups are very difficult if you are not familiar or have not been trained on them. Check the var/adm/messages file on the UNIX ACS host server and find out why you are getting the hardware errors. You may want to open a call with StorageTek for additional help but this is not a NetBackup issue.

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
These resources may also be helpful if you are unfamiliar with ACS:

For a complete overview of Automated Cartridge System (ACS) and VERITAS NetBackup (tm), please see Appendix D, Automated Cartridge System (ACS), of the System Administration Guide:

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Server/264249.pdf

Here is some additional information on ACS troubleshooting

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267306

In particular there is a section on robtest commands with ACS. I would run robtest from install_path\volmgr\bin and then select your ACS robot and when it comes up with the prompt type drstat

This will give you a status of all the drives.

Tim_Dile
Level 5
The system is used for the backing up the mainframe and the Master/Media which are W2003 boxes. I have no clue about the ACLS system and will read the doc's and suggestions made.

I'd like to buy all you guys a virtual Beer for helping me. Can't try anything just yet as I'm now at home, so will report tommorow with hopefully a successful story!

Tim

Stumpr2
Level 6
LOL

Just be kind enough to continue to tell us if we answered your questions correctly. AND also please sum up resolutions for future viewers. ENJOY!

MayurS
Level 6
Check that under Computer management->Storage->
Libraries all your drives should show an icon like as they are disabled.
This will give netbackup full control of your drives.
The drives can be disabled from the control of windows OS by just going to the above mentioned root. then selecting the props of the drives.
This option varies in different OS. But the meaning is the same i.e. Windows should not control the drives.

MayurS
Level 6
I dont think that Removeable storage manager (RSM) Service should be disabled. I have experience that my backup speed improves if i keep this service enabled.

Just we can disable drives from the Windows Removeable Storage.

iowaboy
Not applicable
3 Words:

Veritas Professional Services

Save yourself a LOT of headaches....

patrickkuah
Level 6
Put the RSM service to manual instead of disabled should solved the RSM issue.

I/O error could be anything, you can post your syslog or event viewer overhere.

patrick