cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does second phase of import actually do?

bectaylor76
Level 3

Hello all!  I am trying to do some image imports and I noticed in the log files that it looks as though it's trying to import every client and image and then skips if it finds it.  I specified in my command line and as well as through the GUI a single backupid as well as specific dates, policy, and client name and it still looks like it's trying to import every client.  Can someone tell me if it's actually trying to do what I think it's doing?  Or if I am making some sort of mistake on my command.  Below is the log information as well as the command I am using.

Command:

bpimport -create_db_info -backupid lpmm4737.wellsfargo.com_1291420890 -dp epavn3836-dp -policy mn02_wf lpmm4737.wellsfargo.com -stype DataDomain -cn 1 -s 12/03/2010 -e 12/05/2010 -L /users/apps/dsm/rtaylo/bidfiles/logs/import_images_test2.log -priority 100

Log:

Import phase 1 started Fri Jun 01 14:35:55 2012
14:35:56 INF - Create DB information for path @aaaaT.
14:35:56 INF - Initiation of bpdm process to phase 1 import path @aaaaT was successful.

14:36:13 INF - Found existing image information for client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, done on 04/27/2012 20:52:18.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment TIR 1 already exists. Skipping this f
ragment.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 1 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 2 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 3 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 4 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 5 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 6 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 7 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 8 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 9 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 10 already exists. Skipping this frag
ment.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule full, copy 1 fragment 11 already exists. Skipping this frag
ment.

14:36:13 INF - Found existing image information for client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule incr, done on 04/28/2012 20:42:48.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule incr, copy 1 fragment TIR 1 already exists. Skipping this f
ragment.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule incr, copy 1 fragment 1 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule incr, copy 1 fragment 2 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.
14:36:13 WRN - Cannot import client athweb.wellsfargo.com, policy mn02_w2_wf_8pm, and schedule incr, copy 1 fragment 3 already exists. Skipping this fragm
ent.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bec Taylor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Bec,

That log looks like Phase 1.

Phase 1 will scan the tape/ tapes and read every backup header, so yes it looks like it's importing every backup, but in fact it isn't - it is justloking to see what is on the tape.  It is a bit like running mcontents, it just reads the backp headers

It begins to recreate the header files for every backup (skipping those that exsist) in 

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<client>/<ctime dir>/tmp

It only partly creates the header files, not fully.

Once complete, for example using the GUI you search to find the backup you wnat to fully import, you select these and run a phase 2.

This then reads the tape fully for that image, ot images, reading all the files and recreate the .f file and completing the header file.  Once complete these files are move up one level, out of tmp.  

In 7.5 it's a bit different, as the header file exsists in the EMM database, so simply, the data is recreatyed in the database, not a file.

Think of it like a book.

Phase one is like skipping through and makin a note of the chapters.

Phase 2 selects a particulat chaper(s) and reads all the words.

Here is a technote that shows the procedure in the GUI

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

Martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Phase1 - does a quick scan on the tape and finds the header of each image backed up to that tape.

So say you had servers A B C & D backup to that tape - one job each

it would go and say I found a images for A I found a image for B I found a image for C I found a image for D

this is kind if quick.

Phase 2 - once you get phase one done, you then have the gui tell you what images on the tape are ready for import.  It would say A-image# B-image# C-image# D-image#

and you can choose which ones you want to import - you could say only A-image#

So now Phase2 goes and reads it again, looking at all the files in that image and rebuild the image in the catalog - this is all the info you see in the Backup Archive and Restore window.  Like, date, directory structure, file name , size, last modified time......  So if you only did phase one you could do a restore yet.  Phase2 rebuilds all that info.

-----

now what you are seeing is that it says that there is already a good copy of whatever it is you are trying to import.  hence all the messages that says it already exits.   so it is skipping stuff that it already has 1 copy of, and looking for anything it does not have a copy of.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Bec,

That log looks like Phase 1.

Phase 1 will scan the tape/ tapes and read every backup header, so yes it looks like it's importing every backup, but in fact it isn't - it is justloking to see what is on the tape.  It is a bit like running mcontents, it just reads the backp headers

It begins to recreate the header files for every backup (skipping those that exsist) in 

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<client>/<ctime dir>/tmp

It only partly creates the header files, not fully.

Once complete, for example using the GUI you search to find the backup you wnat to fully import, you select these and run a phase 2.

This then reads the tape fully for that image, ot images, reading all the files and recreate the .f file and completing the header file.  Once complete these files are move up one level, out of tmp.  

In 7.5 it's a bit different, as the header file exsists in the EMM database, so simply, the data is recreatyed in the database, not a file.

Think of it like a book.

Phase one is like skipping through and makin a note of the chapters.

Phase 2 selects a particulat chaper(s) and reads all the words.

Here is a technote that shows the procedure in the GUI

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

Martin

bectaylor76
Level 3

Martin,

Thanks so much!  That answers my question.  I got worried that I was importing images that I didn't want to.  I thought it was doing what you are saying but I wanted to be safe. 

Thanks again!!

Bec