cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happen when I do changes in Accelerator enabled backup

Ramesh111
Level 4

I have to use accelerator for my Solaris server backup. When I enabled last time it has taken more than 24 hours to complete, at the end it was no use. Because every day at 10 Pm new snapshot is taking place in Solaris server. 

So I decided to exclude some directories in full backup and include again in next backup. 

What happen’ s, when I include new directories in same policy.

It will consider as New Backup or Accelerator function will work correctly.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Netbackup accelerator uses the track logs to track the changes in the files being copied. When you enable it the first time, the first backup would be used to genrate the track logs thus it would behave like a normal backup, but subsequent backups would then make use of those track logs to see what files have been changed.

Accelerator based backups are useful for backup set which comprises of small files or a large number of files which do not change quiet often. Accelerator based backups of database files backup OR the files which are changed regularly wont help you.

A new directory means first it needs to create the track log first so the second backup after that would give you faster backup.

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

To answer your question... as long as only the 'selection' list is having a new selection added, then I would expect 'accelerator' to be used/re-used for the parts of the file system which have already been covered by accelerator.  So, yes, you would seem to have a good plan.

Other notes:

If you move a client from one policy to another - the track log has to be re-built for that new policy name - i.e. accelerator starts afresh.

If you remove a client from a a policy and re-add even with exactly the same name - this constitutes as a new client, and so a NetBackup trat any next backup (full, cinc, diff) as a full backup.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have used the same process to systematically "attack" a 10TB (50 million files) client. You'll get there in the end, just keep adding folders to the backup selection each time you run the backup.

6 REPLIES 6

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Netbackup accelerator uses the track logs to track the changes in the files being copied. When you enable it the first time, the first backup would be used to genrate the track logs thus it would behave like a normal backup, but subsequent backups would then make use of those track logs to see what files have been changed.

Accelerator based backups are useful for backup set which comprises of small files or a large number of files which do not change quiet often. Accelerator based backups of database files backup OR the files which are changed regularly wont help you.

A new directory means first it needs to create the track log first so the second backup after that would give you faster backup.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

To answer your question... as long as only the 'selection' list is having a new selection added, then I would expect 'accelerator' to be used/re-used for the parts of the file system which have already been covered by accelerator.  So, yes, you would seem to have a good plan.

Other notes:

If you move a client from one policy to another - the track log has to be re-built for that new policy name - i.e. accelerator starts afresh.

If you remove a client from a a policy and re-add even with exactly the same name - this constitutes as a new client, and so a NetBackup trat any next backup (full, cinc, diff) as a full backup.

RiaanBadenhorst

I have used the same process to systematically "attack" a 10TB (50 million files) client. You'll get there in the end, just keep adding folders to the backup selection each time you run the backup.

Ramesh111
Level 4

Really great Thanks to Symguy, Sdo and Riaan for quick reply.

Riaan, Let me try from this weekend .. I hope it will be good start.

Ramesh111
Level 4

Thanks all,

It worked very well as Riaan said. 

RiaanBadenhorst

Great!