cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to changes while backup is in progress?

Mujeeb-Arrosoft
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi , I need a solutions .

A client has shceduled a policy & backup has been started . After few seconds client is going to modify the files which are selected in Backup selection in policy attributes. Whether the at the backup the changes are going to take affect or its going to take affect in next backup ?

Please help me out!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Changes will take affect in next backup.

Once a backup has been started the policy configuration has been read, and any change will first take effect at the next backup.

Netbackup scheduler wakes up with 5 minutes intervals - any policy change with 5 minutes from backup windows opens is a timing race.

View solution in original post

I_De_Pedro
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Case 1:

This means that the files are open during the backup. Here you should differentiate from Unix & Windows clients.

For Unix clients it works by default, you don´t need to do anything and the file will be backed up with the changes, if the changes end before the backup ends. Only if you see a SC 1, you can manage or configure the attribute 'busy file action', or trough the Host Propierties. 

For Windows, you should configure the 'Open File Backup' under Host propierties, where you have different options to configure, but the behaviour is that a snapshot will make for the open files during the Backup, this is the different options to configure:

open_file.png

You can find the detailed information here (page 98):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6452

Case 2:

It was answered in this thread. To resume, if you update a policy during the backup is in progress it will not affect the backup in progress. If you edit the policy before the backup execution the changes will take efect if the 'Policy Update Interval' (Host Propierties) has been done before the execution, or if you execute the command for update the policies manually.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Changes will take affect in next backup.

Once a backup has been started the policy configuration has been read, and any change will first take effect at the next backup.

Netbackup scheduler wakes up with 5 minutes intervals - any policy change with 5 minutes from backup windows opens is a timing race.

Mujeeb-Arrosoft
Level 3
Partner Accredited

thanks nicolai.....

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Just throwing in my 2 cents here..

Run "nbpempeq -updatepolicies" from the Master server if you need the modification enabled immedialtely.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, what exactly is changed after backup is started?

The Backup Selection or the actual files that are getting backed up?

I_De_Pedro
Level 4

Marianne has done the correct question, I've understood the same than her.

Are you asking about change the contents of the policy or the contents of the files that are being backed up?

If it's the contents of the policy the answer is here in the thread.

If it's the files that are being to backed up, depends on other aspects, the first one is if you have activated the open files backup up for this client.

Mujeeb-Arrosoft
Level 3
Partner Accredited

case 1: What if i am changing actual files at client side , when backup in prgress ?

case 2: What if i am changing Backup selection in poliy , when backup in prgress ?

I_De_Pedro
Level 4

Case 1:

This means that the files are open during the backup. Here you should differentiate from Unix & Windows clients.

For Unix clients it works by default, you don´t need to do anything and the file will be backed up with the changes, if the changes end before the backup ends. Only if you see a SC 1, you can manage or configure the attribute 'busy file action', or trough the Host Propierties. 

For Windows, you should configure the 'Open File Backup' under Host propierties, where you have different options to configure, but the behaviour is that a snapshot will make for the open files during the Backup, this is the different options to configure:

open_file.png

You can find the detailed information here (page 98):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6452

Case 2:

It was answered in this thread. To resume, if you update a policy during the backup is in progress it will not affect the backup in progress. If you edit the policy before the backup execution the changes will take efect if the 'Policy Update Interval' (Host Propierties) has been done before the execution, or if you execute the command for update the policies manually.