Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is VTL and how it works?

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified
Hi Team,

I am new to the VTL. I know the meaning of VTL ( Virtual Tape library), but I do not know how it works. We have VTL netapp1400, but I couldn't found the required manual docs. I know some basic terminology on VTL ,like cloning, Front through put. max treading....etc.

Please guide me some basic knowledge on VTL and how it synchronize with tape library.  How many drives require to synchronize with tape library. We have SL8500 series Physical tape library. How to partition the VTL for three or four master servers.

I appreciate your information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Below mentioned are few points you should know about NetApp VTL

1. VTL is an appliance that emulates itself as tape library to any backup software 

2. It is used for backup and in many cases used for reducing the backup and recovery time (backup window)

3. For using VTL with netbackup you will need to have licenses. Though VTL emulates itself as a TL, VTL licensing is based on the frontend TB space.

4. NetApp VTL has some additonal features over other vendors like pass-through restoration, export to tape, etc. NetApp has also launched deduplication from VTL version 6.

5. After creating virtual TL in VTL that will look like any other TL in NBU and you can create storage group and volume pools - normal operation.

For VTL product documentation you will need to have netapp ID and can be found at now.netapp.com.

Also you can read through the NBU and NetApp VTL best practices to more info.

Do let me know if this resolves your query.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

udubplate
Level 4
 Do you have a login to the NetApp NOW support site? There is a ton of documentation on there about the NetApp VTL that will help guide you, but you need a login. If you are a NetApp customer you should have access.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Below mentioned are few points you should know about NetApp VTL

1. VTL is an appliance that emulates itself as tape library to any backup software 

2. It is used for backup and in many cases used for reducing the backup and recovery time (backup window)

3. For using VTL with netbackup you will need to have licenses. Though VTL emulates itself as a TL, VTL licensing is based on the frontend TB space.

4. NetApp VTL has some additonal features over other vendors like pass-through restoration, export to tape, etc. NetApp has also launched deduplication from VTL version 6.

5. After creating virtual TL in VTL that will look like any other TL in NBU and you can create storage group and volume pools - normal operation.

For VTL product documentation you will need to have netapp ID and can be found at now.netapp.com.

Also you can read through the NBU and NetApp VTL best practices to more info.

Do let me know if this resolves your query.

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

VTL is a data storage virtualisation technology used for backup and recovery process. VTL normally represents a hard disk storage as tape libraries and tape drives for use with backup softwares.

Benefits:

Storage consolidation
Faster backup and restore process
Problems in tape drives reduced increasing the efficiency of the drives
Disk to Disk backups and then the copy is duplicated seperately from Disk to tapes in vaulting.