cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between ascii and binary catalog?

divjot
Level 2

hi i am new to netbackup..can any one tell me what is the difference between ascii catalog and binary catalog?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sclind
   VIP   

Sounds like a exam or interview question.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My question to you:

Where did you here about this and why is this important to you?

ASCII catalog for NBU images was used many years and many versions ago. No need to even wonder about it....

Parts of NBU Catalog (and everything you need to know about the catalog for your NBU version)  is covered in NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I  .

You can also read through this 'blueprint' article: 
https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/netbackup-76-blueprints-netbackup-catalog 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The difference is that the ".f" files within the image catalog are potentially human readable when in ACSII format.

When the ".f" files are in binary format, then seeing (let alone interpreting) the contents is not humanly possible.

But, as BAU day-to-day administrators, there should be absolutlely no need to look inside those files anyway.

Maybe this will help a bit:

https://www.veritas.com/community/articles/netbackup-76-blueprints-netbackup-catalog

ASCII based catalogs are an old concept, a very old concept.

Do you have some really old v4.5 or v5.x environments to look after?

RiaanBadenhorst

Whoooa that took me back a long long time :)

Marianne

I had to go search Google to see when NBU changed from ASCII to binary catalogs.

It was in NBU 4.5 that was released back in 2002!!!! 

I bet that 99% of current NBU admins have never seen or used NBU 3.x and earlier with ASCII catalogs....

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

I doubt if you are running so old version in your environment. Quick question what is your objective ? What actual information are you looking for from these files... 

If you are looking for specific info then we will be able to help you with the right command or place where you can look for ?

sclind
   VIP   

Sounds like a exam or interview question.

divjot
Level 2

Yes sir you are right it is an interview question.Actually sir i am learning netbackup from my freind..when i browse netbackup interview question then this question stuck(from ascii catalog and binary catalog which is more compact?)..being a fresher i can post this question in this group to get the suitable answer of my question...

Marianne
Ascii catalogs are old and no longer relevant. Anyone asking this in an interview does not belong in a senior backup position. Please be honest about your knowledge and experience. Rather say 'I don't know but I am willing to learn, read manuals and search Veritas knowledge base'.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

"Anyone asking this in an interview does not belong in a senior backup position."

Spot on ....  In fact, many 'interview type' questions that get asked on here are sub-standard, and I hope would never be asked in an interview.

RiaanBadenhorst

Unless the interviewee claimed they had been working with NBU for 16 year, then the question is valid :p

Will_Restore
Level 6

Yes, feels like I stumbled upon the Internet Wayback Machine. 

Now where did I put that copy of NetBackup 3.4 ? surprise

Marianne
I think that some newbies are scared to reveal their lack of knowledge/experience. They then apply for level 2 or 3 NBU admin job and try to ace the interview by searching online for interview questions. Time to close this off...