cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the "Take checkpoint every:" system overhead?

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,

What the impact if I thick the "Take checkpoint every:"? I just wondering if all the policy I thick this option, it must be some impact right? If not why is it not enabled for every policy?

I  implement this on certain policies.

Thank you.

Iwan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

though i do not have the direct answer , it looks like it is...

because it needs to keep track of check points

"Checkpoints are saved at file boundaries and point to the next file in the list"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO34475

" If the frequency of checkpoints affects performance, increase the time between checkpoints."

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Taking checkpoint will probably take a second (or less) to write the filemark at the checkpoint and record it in the catalogs.

I have never tried to figure out the 'overhead' because the advantage of taking checkpoints far outweighs any kind of overhead. You can read up in Admin Guide I about the option and advantages.

.... why is it not enabled for every policy?

This option is never enabled by default. It is up to the backup admin to enable it. So, if 'some' policies in your environment has the option selected, someone has done it. You can also choose/adjust the checkpoint interval.

The option is also only available for filesystem backups - MS-Windows and Standard policy types.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

though i do not have the direct answer , it looks like it is...

because it needs to keep track of check points

"Checkpoints are saved at file boundaries and point to the next file in the list"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO34475

" If the frequency of checkpoints affects performance, increase the time between checkpoints."

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Taking checkpoint will probably take a second (or less) to write the filemark at the checkpoint and record it in the catalogs.

I have never tried to figure out the 'overhead' because the advantage of taking checkpoints far outweighs any kind of overhead. You can read up in Admin Guide I about the option and advantages.

.... why is it not enabled for every policy?

This option is never enabled by default. It is up to the backup admin to enable it. So, if 'some' policies in your environment has the option selected, someone has done it. You can also choose/adjust the checkpoint interval.

The option is also only available for filesystem backups - MS-Windows and Standard policy types.

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi Nagalla and Marianne,

Thanks for your both answers.

Regards,

Iwan Tamimi