Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the step to import the data?

Agent47
Level 4

Hi all,

My server crashed.

my other server is win2003 with nbackup 6.5 installed.

is there any issue, if i try to import the data from tape?because it have also a same tape naming convention.

and the data i need is in MON tape.

e.g MON < from crashed server 

kindly guide me how can i restore my data using diffrent server?

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you are still doing cold catalog backups, you need to use 'bprecover -r -tpath <tape path>' to recover the catalog.

Once you have recovered the catalog, there is no need to import tapes - all image/catalog info will be back.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

does the Crashed server is Master server?

dont you have catalog backup configured for Master server? if yes please go ahead and recover the master server from the catalog backup.

once you recover the Master server details you can get the restore done for regular clients..

Agent47
Level 4

Yes, that it was the Master server..

yes, it have a catalog backup configured on master server.

how can i proceed..?should i inject the MON tape to other server?

Marianne
Level 6

Did you not do regular catalog backups?

If you have the catalog tape DR-file, you can simply install new server with same hostname, install same NBU version to same path as before, and then use the Catalog Recovery wizard in the GUI to restore NBU catalogs.

If you don't have Catalog backups, you need to import tapes. See this TN:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43584

Question:
Do you have barcodes on your tapes?
Or using standalone tape drive or robot without barcode reader?
You are referring to MON tape - Media Id's normally have 6 characters.

If you don't have a robot with a barcode reader, you will need to load the tape and do a 'physical inventory' using the vmphyinv command. See Commands manual: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52833

RamNagalla

Q1) does this MON tape contaings the Data of Master server catalog backup or client backup?

if Master server Catalog backup, Follow the DR recover process to recover the Master server.

Q2) if MON tape contains the client data  dont you want to recover your Master server?

if yes, recover though Catalog backup and then try restoring your data that you are looking/

Q3) are you dont wnat to recover the master server only the client data using the other Master server?

if yes, follow the below T/N to proceed with the Import process

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43584

PS:- Netbackup 6.X is out of support more than a year ago.. its time for you to upgrade your Envornment to 7.X

Agent47
Level 4

Q1) does this MON tape contaings the Data of Master server catalog backup or client backup?

it's aMaster server

if Master server Catalog backup, Follow the DR recover process to recover the Master server.

Q2) if MON tape contains the client data  dont you want to recover your Master server? no lcient..its only backup itself

if yes, recover though Catalog backup and then try restoring your data that you are looking/

Q3) are you dont wnat to recover the master server only the client data using the other Master server?

if yes, follow the below T/N to proceed with the Import process..

Master only.

Agent47
Level 4

Thanks for the link marianne.

it has backup regularly after full backup happened.

Question:
Do you have barcodes on your tapes? it not robotic.i used to manual inject tape.or stand alone tape drive
Or using standalone tape drive or robot without barcode reader? stand alone
You are referring to MON tape - Media Id's normally have 6 characters.//i use mon01A. 

RamNagalla

so , you need to follow the DR recovery process if you want to revover the Master DB.

T/N

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65274

if you just want to a files , then use another master server and do the import with the T/N that i have provided abobe and restore to alternate locatoin.

Marianne
Level 6

If you are still doing cold catalog backups, you need to use 'bprecover -r -tpath <tape path>' to recover the catalog.

Once you have recovered the catalog, there is no need to import tapes - all image/catalog info will be back.

Agent47
Level 4

thanks guys,.

:)