cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do next at Netbackup Admin Console

kkhoo
Level 5

Hi there,

We have to restart tape library after replacing a tape drive. Have not configured the new drive in NBU.

However, though there's a lot of working tape drives in the library, tape backup is failed.

Error is No media is available: unable to allocate new media fro backup, storage unit has none available.

Please help. thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

Your scenario looks like this:

- you used to have tape drives setup in NBU and is working fine.
- you need to and have replaced a bad tape drive but the new one is not in your setup (yet).
- Now backup is getting error 96 , even though you have other working tape drives.

Every time you make physical changes to or restart your tape library, remember to do a robot inventory - this is important, as changes on tape library need an update to your media tape locations, and make sure the density type of tape matches the tape drive type. (e.g. HCART to HCART)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rookie11
   VIP   

Question is posted is quite vague but i will still try to answer it.

Error is No media is available: unable to allocate new media fro backup, storage unit has none available. ---- either you need to insert new medias or reuse old media(if their expiration date is over). Problem you mentioned is error code 96. please check media status and availability in your tape library.

kkhoo
Level 5

Hi Rookie11,

Error is 2009. Drive paths are down but media is available.

This happened after the restart of tape library.

Should i do a rescan? If so... how to perform in admin console?

Thanks.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So... you seem to have 2 problems:

1. Tape drive has been replaced and NBU needs to be updated

2. You do not have sufficient available media in the robot for new backups.

Is my assumption right?

You have selected Linux as OS. 
Is this your master and/or media server?

How many tape drives in the robot?
How many of these drives were replaced?

Steps to reconfigure replaced tape drive:

1. Delete the old tape drive in NBU: Use the GUI or tpconfig (text-based menu). Restart ltid (or NBU if you are unsure).
  2. Scan at OS-level to ensure that replaced tape drive is seen by the OS:  
    cat /proc/scsi/scsi
  3. Verify that tape drive responds to scsi_commands. Run this command:
    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan
  4. If replaced tape drive is seen in both outputs above, run Device Config wizard in main page of the Admin Console to add the new drive and restart NBU daemons.

Insufficient media is another topic that we can address when replaced tape drive has been added in NBU.
Hint: use this command to check for available media:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media 

watsons
Level 6

Your scenario looks like this:

- you used to have tape drives setup in NBU and is working fine.
- you need to and have replaced a bad tape drive but the new one is not in your setup (yet).
- Now backup is getting error 96 , even though you have other working tape drives.

Every time you make physical changes to or restart your tape library, remember to do a robot inventory - this is important, as changes on tape library need an update to your media tape locations, and make sure the density type of tape matches the tape drive type. (e.g. HCART to HCART)

kkhoo
Level 5

@marianne, thanks. following the commands, i was able to see the drives. =)

@watsons, thanks. you are right about the scenario. i missed out doing robot inventory. =)

It is ok now. thanks so much for the support!.