cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What vSphere license is required to take a VM level backup using NetBackup 7.6 +

Sultan_ao
Not applicable

Hi All, 

I have an issue with a VMWARE ESXI 5.5 host with a free license installed.

I usually take backup using Netbackup for all VMs in the host, and have faced no issue in the evaluation period.

After installing the free license , and therfore limiting some features, I have ran into an issue with status issue 156 and snapshot not being performed , and therfore backup as well.

After digging around, I found that netbackup doesn't work well with free license of ESXI , and hence have searched to see which features are required by NetBackup to perfrom the job gracefully.

I am opting for the essentials licence that adds support for vStorage APIs. Do I need anything other than that API unlocked to perform VM level backup ?

Here are some information that might be needed:

VMs guest operating systems : Winodws server 2008R2 and above as well as some Linux redhat machines.

Vsphere version : 5.5.0 , build: 2068190.

Backup required: VM level backup and restore capabilites.

Hoping to get an answer from the experts here with sources if available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Another post that seem to have been quarantined by the Connect spam filter for weeks....

The answer to your query can be found in this VMware KB article: 
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102117...

What licensing is required to use VMware vSphere Storage APIs – Data Protection?XXXXCX

The Data Protection APIs are included with all licensed vSphere editions: Standard, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus.
For more information about licensing and VMware vSphere Storage APIs – Data Protection, see vSphere Storage APIs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Another post that seem to have been quarantined by the Connect spam filter for weeks....

The answer to your query can be found in this VMware KB article: 
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102117...

What licensing is required to use VMware vSphere Storage APIs – Data Protection?XXXXCX

The Data Protection APIs are included with all licensed vSphere editions: Standard, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus.
For more information about licensing and VMware vSphere Storage APIs – Data Protection, see vSphere Storage APIs.