cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I load new tapes and scratch tapes why do they now go into the catalog backup pool?

PrisonPlanet88
Level 4
Just as the subject reads, im having an issue when our offsite tapes and new tapes are loaded into the SL500, the next time Netbackup runs its inventory the tapes are placed into the Netbackup Catalog pool. They should go to the scratch pool and our main pool.

A little background: We are on 6.5 now for about a month. I noticed this problem when backups failed due to having no media available. Maser server is on Solaris 9. A currently have an open case with Symantec working on getting NOM to run properly.

We do not have hot catalog backups set up, but I have the cold catalog backups set to go to disk primary then nothing secondary.

I have a few question's, one, why is it doing this now? Two, I "changed" the tapes pool from Catalog backup to our primary pool so backups would continue, is this bad? Why does netbackup not recongnize these tapes as scratch tapes, and is it bad that I moved them into the primary pool and not the scratch pool.

I was going to open another case, but I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks in advanced, Mike
6 REPLIES 6

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
hi,

Try removing your tape rules and add them again, maybe during the migration they where corrupted or something, recreating them will be a good action to take.

regards

Stumpr2
Level 6
Review the configuration of the scratch pool in the vm.conf file

On the VERITAS NetBackup (tm) master server:
Verify the scratch pool definition has not been removed from /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf.
If so, recreate the entry in the form of
SCRATCH_POOL = <case sensitive name of the scratch pool>
and restart NetBackup for that change to take effect.

PrisonPlanet88
Level 4
Thank you for your fast reply. The vm.conf is correct, I just checked it. The contents of vm.conf is 2 lines long:

DEVICE_HOST = fwstnb1
SCRATCH_POOL = Scratch

Please forgive my noobness (for lack of words) to netbackup. Can you please explain where or how to re-apply tape rules, or point me to the right documentation?

Again thanks for the fast response's

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Start reading from page 560 on the Netbackup 6.5 Admin Guide Vol 1.

hope this helps.
regards

PrisonPlanet88
Level 4
Omar, you are correct sir. The bar code rules no longer exist! I'll obviously have to recreate them, should this be of concern? This wound hinder previous backups / restores will it. i guess I have a fear of Netbackup looking its database and knowing where offsite tapes are, when needs to be ejected when full, and what tape numbers needs to be put back in the robot from the picking list.

Not having bar code rules would have no effect of these issues?

I have a backup of our 5.1mp4 configuration, is there a way to retrieve our old barcode rules to look at them?

Stumpr2
Level 6

PrisonPlanet88 wrote:

I have a backup of our 5.1mp4 configuration, is there a way to retrieve our old barcode rules to look at them?

You could restore the file to /tmp to look at them.
The file is /usr/openv/netbackup/volmgr/database/ruleDB

Message Edited by Stumpr on 04-01-2008 11:07 AM