cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When media owner is set to UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP ,can I restore from different media server

chethan2365
Level 3

Hi Team ,

We are planning to decomission two appliance media server whcih is of 5220 model and running with 7.7.3 Netbackup, all the Tapes are owned by UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP. 

If Client A uses Media Server A to perform the backup and Tape owner is set UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP.

Now when client A request for a restore can I do restore from Media Server B considering both media server are part of same Master.

I tried the  above scenario by bringnig down the media server A , but the restore went to incomplete satate with below error.

08:14:33 (400979.001) Status of restore from copy 1 of image created Sun 31 Mar 2019 06:00:03 PM CDT = cannot connect to server backup restore manager.

Later I had brought up the NBU servevices on media server A then restore completed fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@chethan2365 

I have moved your post to NetBackup forum as this topic is not directly related to NBU Appliances. 

Media in UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP simply means that all media server can write/append to the media.

Images are still 'owned' by the media server that wrote the backup.
bprd on the master will send restore instruction to the media server that owns the image, unless you have configured FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER or FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER on the master server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

chethan2365
Level 3

Below is my error log.

Progress log filename : /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/nbutemp/logs/jbp-39998554391099949038000000020-3H6DZa.log Restore Job Id=400982
Restore started 04/04/2019 10:18:24

10:18:24 (400982.xxx) Restore job id 400982 will require 1 image.
10:18:24 (400982.xxx) Media id PLXXXX is needed for the restore.

10:19:10 (400982.001) Status of restore from copy 1 of image created Mon 01 Apr 2019 06:00:43 PM CDT = cannot connect to server backup restore manager

10:19:10 (400982.001) The following files/folders were not restored:
10:19:10 (400982.001) UTF - /C/Program Files/Veritas/NetBackup/var/clientlogdays.txt

10:19:10 (400982.xxx) INF - Status = Restore error.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@chethan2365 

I have moved your post to NetBackup forum as this topic is not directly related to NBU Appliances. 

Media in UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP simply means that all media server can write/append to the media.

Images are still 'owned' by the media server that wrote the backup.
bprd on the master will send restore instruction to the media server that owns the image, unless you have configured FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER or FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER on the master server.

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

Please use nbdecommission command - than you will be given with opportunity to change media owning host, 

nbdecommission --help
Usage:
nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname>
[-list_ref | -newserver <hostname> [-bulk_media_move] [-file <op_dump_file>]]
[-machinetype media | foreign_media | ndmp | replication_host]
[-M <master_server>] [-reason "<reason>"] [-v]

More in NBU commands guide... Once properly decomissioned you will not be facing such issues with restores as all media from decommed media server will be assigned to other one.

Thaks Marianne, I added FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER on the master server and tried few restore which is working fine. Thanks for your help.