cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I use option "expire after copy" on SLP backups?

famari
Level 2

Folks

I don´t know if I can open a discuss just to clear a doubt about this option. Please let me know if I can´t, I am new working with NBU, I´ve passed the last 10 years only working with TSM, so is pretty hard for me to understand some things on NBU tool.

But here is my doubt, when I can use the the option "expire after copy" option on SLP backups? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

An example might be:

stage 1 - backup to advanced disk, retention 1 week

--> stage 2 - duplication to MSDP, retention 1 month

-->--> stage 3 - duplication to tape, retention 1 year

--> stage 4 - replication off-site, retention whatever

After using this for some time, you might find that the small advanced disk area runs out of space, and so it might instead have been a good idea to set the first stage, stage 1, the backup stage to "expire after copy".

The term "expire after copy", means "expire only this copy of a backup image after the backup image has been sucessfully duplicated or successfull replicated".

There are no right or wrong ways to use "expire after copy".  At the end of the day, the determining factors on whether you need to use "expire after copy" will be your capacities and your quantities of backup data ingest / churn.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

An example might be:

stage 1 - backup to advanced disk, retention 1 week

--> stage 2 - duplication to MSDP, retention 1 month

-->--> stage 3 - duplication to tape, retention 1 year

--> stage 4 - replication off-site, retention whatever

After using this for some time, you might find that the small advanced disk area runs out of space, and so it might instead have been a good idea to set the first stage, stage 1, the backup stage to "expire after copy".

The term "expire after copy", means "expire only this copy of a backup image after the backup image has been sucessfully duplicated or successfull replicated".

There are no right or wrong ways to use "expire after copy".  At the end of the day, the determining factors on whether you need to use "expire after copy" will be your capacities and your quantities of backup data ingest / churn.