cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where in the logs would I find..

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

and what would I be looking for.

I want to see how long it takes a job to create its SCC - so I am trying to find at what point it is done with the SCC and actually starts writing to the tape.

The job details - is not accurate - as it will say writing to tape - while actually it is still building the SCC.

So what log would I need to look in - and what would I be looking for to see that the SCC is done?

So far I am having no luck finding this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

That is actually incorrect. The SCC will ONLY be created with bpbkar. BPFIS is NOT required!

You can even run it in memory on the client itself via "bpbkar32.exe -nocont Shadow Copy Components:\  1> nul 2> nul"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

On a client it has various steps

The bpfis process will handle the snapshot part so while this is happening it will write to the bpfis log (if the bpfis directory exists)

When the actual backup runs it will write to the bpbkar log (if the bpbkar directory exists)

To get deep into the details you need to increase the logging levels on the client.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

That is actually incorrect. The SCC will ONLY be created with bpbkar. BPFIS is NOT required!

You can even run it in memory on the client itself via "bpbkar32.exe -nocont Shadow Copy Components:\  1> nul 2> nul"

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Fair enough pikachu - i was covering the entire backup process in my comment - if snapshots are taken then bpfis is the process used and then the files are backed up by bpkar

A useful thread covering some of this can be found here - as you can see you need at least logging level 2 to start getting the detail:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76997

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147994

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124595

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I made the bpbar and set logging to 2

I found this after the job ran

2:19:14.932 PM: [4844.6036] <4> dos_backup::V_InitializeShadowCopy: INF - ============================================
2:19:14.932 PM: [4844.6036] <4> dos_backup::V_InitializeShadowCopy: INF - ShadowCopy PrePost: Begin
2:19:16.633 PM: [4844.6036] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLogEx: INF - file_access (constructor): 0 non-NTFS volumes
2:34:25.202 PM: [4844.6036] <4> VssSnapshot::V_VssVolumeSnapshot(): INF - Drive 'E:' added to VSS Volume Set
2:36:09.602 PM: [4844.6036] <4> VssSnapshot::V_VssVolumeSnapshot(): INF - VSS Volume Set snapped
2:36:09.618 PM: [4844.6036] <4> VssSnapshot::V_VssVolumeSnapshot(): INF - About to commence post-snap unbounded association checks
2:36:09.618 PM: [4844.6036] <4> dos_backup::V_InitializeShadowCopy: INF - ShadowCopy PrePost: End
2:36:09.618 PM: [4844.6036] <4> dos_backup::V_InitializeShadowCopy: INF - ============================================

so is this preposting the making of the SCC - so would it actually start writing to tape after this?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I am trying to help here but just getting negative votes here for what ever reason so i will leave it to pikacho to carry on and leave this thread alone

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - I take it all back - i just cant keep away and this has been bugging me so here is a little more information to help give you exactly what you want:

Create a touch file /usr/openv/netbackup/bpbkar_path_tr (or equivalent path for Windows)

Now when you run the backup job bpbkar will log every file it is writing as it does it

See this tech note: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29475

I have checked and this does apply to all versions of NetBackup

Hope this helps

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

as I posted above the PrePost begin and end are exactly what I needed,  that seems to be where the shadow copy is being made, and right after the end it actually starts writing to tape.