cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where the types of backup information "backed up bit" info is kept

contra04
Level 5

ok - this from wikipedia:

On the other hand, it is technically accurate to refer to a differential backup as a cumulative incremental backup but this use is discouraged as it is unnecessarily confusing

Where is the backup bit stored? on the files? or in the catalogue? ?

How does the cumulative incremental backup know which files are part of the fullbackup?

as we mount a SAN snapshot for backups, and I am worried that on each daily backup using cumulative incremental backup, that the backup bit is not kept as the incrementals are huge ! each san snapshot will be different to the last, when the full backup was taken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Unfortunately it is a client setting and cannot be done per policy. I believe it references the catalog and check when the last INCR of FULL ran and works it out like that.

It wont impact the other backups, its just another way of deciding when to include files in an INCR.

Whether you set it on the client or via the master its still a setting that resides on the client.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

When doing such backups you should change the cient that mounts the snapshot to calculate incrementals by date, rather than archive bit.

The "Perform incrementals based on archive bit" attribute can be found in two places for each client. The first place this attribute can be modified is on the client system's console, in the NetBackup Backup, Archive, and Restore application.  It is found by going to the Actions menu, selecting Configure and then going to the General tab.  

The second place that the "Perform incrementals based on archive bit" can be modified is from a Windows-based NetBackup server.  It is found by selecting the Start menu in the NetBackup Administration application and going to Configure NetBackup.  The Configuration Group on the left-hand side of the screen can be expanded to show the grouping of Clients.  With Clients selected on the left-hand side of the screen, a specific client can be right-clicked on the right-hand side of the screen.  Select Properties (Read/Write) from the pop-up menu and go to the Windows Client tab on the resulting window.  The "Perform incrementals based on archive bit" setting can be found on the left-hand side of this tab.

contra04
Level 5

Ahh thank you very much.  Now this make sense that all my "dailys" were infact FULLS. One question - can it be set per policy ?  There are two policies for the server in question.  One that mounts SAN snapshots to local disks, and one that just does a normal backup of the D Drive.

When I un-select the Perform incrementals based on archive bit, does it use date by default - I see no date option listed.  Also are these dates maintained in a database on the backup server? or on the client ? or in the catalogue somehwere.  This was on the client. This is also set on the server.

And will this impact my "normal" full backup / incrementals on the other job (no san involved)?

contra04
Level 5

Also - do the server side client settings take precedence ove the client side settings when there is a conflict?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Unfortunately it is a client setting and cannot be done per policy. I believe it references the catalog and check when the last INCR of FULL ran and works it out like that.

It wont impact the other backups, its just another way of deciding when to include files in an INCR.

Whether you set it on the client or via the master its still a setting that resides on the client.

contra04
Level 5

you are a legend, that worked perfectly.  Now only to fix my bp_start end logic !