cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to determine what time the backup job will be started

nbmagic
Level 4

I have very basic question, and could not find the answer myself.

I have checked a lot of defined policies here, and under schedule and then Start Window, all time has been highlighted, including Sunday - Sunday, and 00:00:00 - 00.00.00, duration is 7 days.However, within policy name, it includes strings like "..1800p..

So, I am wondering what time really backup jobs will be started, and where and how would that be determined, Could this string 1800p in the policy name determine the time to start ?

Thanks for you help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

ah!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMC_Control-M

And to answer your most recent question: no, sorry, that would be like asking if you can tell when I am going to take off work by looking at your vacation schedule  :)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Schedules open for 7 days a week are often database related because they are user initiated (intiated by RMAN, brtools etc). User initiated backup jobs are started outside Netbackup control.

The string 1800p does not control backup start time.

Please do a screen dump of the policy and attach as a file - we may be able to help you much more then

Will_Restore
Level 6

policy dump command:

bppllist  CM_UX_PROD_FS  -U

that particular one is set to Calendar and not Frequency it seems.  the command above will confirm. 

you can try this command to see what backups are due for policy "CM_UX_PROD_FS" before midnight tomorrow.

nbpemreq  -due -date  10/22/2013 23:59:00  -policy_filter  CM_UX_PROD_FS

nbmagic
Level 4

bppllist  CM_UX_PROD_FS  -U

Yes,
"Calendar sched: Enabled".

nbpemreq  -due -date  10/22/2013 23:59:00  -policy_filter  CM_UX_PROD_FS

All 6 clients are due time as following:
Mon Oct 21 18:00:26 2013

Could  you please tell me what do they mean respectively?

nbmagic
Level 4

Hi,

I am not sure what screen dump you are looking for, but this is the schedule window I can show you. This particular one and also others are not for Oracle. All other polices have the same Schedule. Some policy's name include 0200p or 1800p, and as you said, they are not for the time to start, but where do we specify the time?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Could  you please tell me what do they mean respectively?

Not sure what exactly you are asking?

The nbpemreq output seems self explanatory, right?

We can help you understand your policy schedules better if you post the entire schedule section of bppllist output.

Will_Restore
Level 6

nbmagic, did the six client backups run last night as expected? 

nbmagic
Level 4

Update:

it turns out that Control-M is scheduling all backups, I was told.

If nobody told me that, how would I be able to find that out myself by checking NetBAckup configurations?

Is there a way in NB to find out when and what time a schedule of a policy will be started by control-M?

Will_Restore
Level 6

ah!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMC_Control-M

And to answer your most recent question: no, sorry, that would be like asking if you can tell when I am going to take off work by looking at your vacation schedule  :)

nbmagic
Level 4

A good analogy.

Then without anybody telling me, can I figure out myself if the entire NB is scheduled by control-m? Say any control-M would be running on the backup servers?

nbmagic
Level 4

I found the answer myself by checking the link. It is agentless software, so, there are no any Control-M daemons running on servers.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

can I figure out myself if the entire NB is scheduled by control-m?

You will have to look at all the schedules for each of policies. 

Schedules kicked off by Control-M will have no open backup windows.

You can output entire policy database to a file:

bppllist -allpolicies -U >/tmp/policies.txt