cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whether AIR can be used with Netapp

Vincent2017
Level 2

Dear Experts,

Could you help me confirm the two points below? Your help is much appreciated.

1. Whether AIR (Auto Image Replicate) can be used with Netapp storage?

2. Can the data be replicated from EMC to Netapp via AIR?

My understanding is in AIR deployment data will be replicated between media servers and media server will send data to storage, so both above two tasks can be achieved. Am I right? Thanks.

Cheers,

Vincent

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. 

You can use any type of locally attached storage as MSDP.

This means it cannot be NAS (NFS or CIFS) attached NetApp or EMC storage - must be SAN or iSCSI attached.

Please see the storage requirements section of NetBackup Deduplication Guide 

View solution in original post

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hi Vincent - NetBackup AIR is a feature/functionality-set which is used to replicate "backup data" between compatible "backup storage devices" - NetBackup AIR does not, and cannot, replicate "front-line storage file-systems".

If your "backup data storage area" is say MSDP residing upon disks/volumes upon NetApp LUNs - and you want to NetBackup AIR replicate this backup data to another NetBackup MSDP storage area which is residing upon disk/volumes upon VNX LUNs - then yes, NetBackup AIR can do this.

What are you trying to achieve?

sdo

Yes, that it is correct, any of the Opt_Dup platforms can only Opt_Dup between themselves.

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. 

You can use any type of locally attached storage as MSDP.

This means it cannot be NAS (NFS or CIFS) attached NetApp or EMC storage - must be SAN or iSCSI attached.

Please see the storage requirements section of NetBackup Deduplication Guide 

sdo

Hi Vincent - NetBackup AIR is a feature/functionality-set which is used to replicate "backup data" between compatible "backup storage devices" - NetBackup AIR does not, and cannot, replicate "front-line storage file-systems".

If your "backup data storage area" is say MSDP residing upon disks/volumes upon NetApp LUNs - and you want to NetBackup AIR replicate this backup data to another NetBackup MSDP storage area which is residing upon disk/volumes upon VNX LUNs - then yes, NetBackup AIR can do this.

What are you trying to achieve?

Thanks Marianne, your answer would save my time of reading around 60 documents. Thanks a lot.

Hi Sdo,

Thanks for your help. Yes, we want to create backup on MSDP residing on EMC VNX LUN and then replicate the backup to remote MSDP residing Netapp LUNs. Based on your comments, it is possible. That is perfect!!!

One more thing would like to confirm with you guru. After read doc, I find another option is to use openstorage as server type, but there is a limitation 'The source storage and the target storage must be the same appliance type'. Does this mean using MSDP is the only option to replicate backup from EMC to Netapp? Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Vincent

sdo

Yes, that it is correct, any of the Opt_Dup platforms can only Opt_Dup between themselves.

Thanks Sdo,

Sorry, one more question. Is the storage plug-in required to create MSDP on EMC or Netapp storage LUN? Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Vincent

sdo

MSDP is native to NetBackup.  It does have an OST, but this is built-in and taken care of for you.  When deploying/upgrading NetBackup, then all OST elements for MSDP are taken care of during the deployment/upgrade.