cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which media contain my file?

Will_Restore
Level 6
Need assistance with command line to determine which tape volumes contain backup of a given file.

That is I need the barcode numbers of all media that contain “F:/MyDocument_version*.doc”

4 REPLIES 4

Will_Restore
Level 6
Normally would pull this from Restore GUI but that is questionable for this event. 

1) Can only select one at a time if multiple backups with same filename.
2) Selecting one file & then Preview presents multiple tapes (like a dozen) & the file is not that big!
3) Potentially many versions of filename & I need all the associated media

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Wrobbins, there is an undocumented switch for bplcntcmd, the bplcntcmd -ml <file specified in NetBackup unix style format>.

This will return the first fragment used for that file, no date switches can be used in conjunction with this command, I would presume this information is from the latest available backup.

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -ml /C/boot.ini
1 1 D:\DSSU_test\testmaster_1260405467_C1_F1

The way which ensures you find that information is with a few commands, or the BAR gui, which you already know.  You could use bplist commands to look for file names and show you timestamps from backup times, and then knowing which client was backed up, you could take the backup time, and client to find the backup ID.  Knowing the backup ID you can identify all of the fragments used with a bpimmedia command, or bpimagelist command.

Also another easy way is to simply attempt a restore of that file to /dev/null, or somewhere where we can easily delete it, and then identify the tapes from the restore job's detailed status.

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
No wildcards can be used with that switch.  No support will be provided on this switch now and probably not in the future, but it may work for today.  Hope this helps.

Will_Restore
Level 6
these do not provide the granularity we were hoping for (file A is on tape B, file C is on tape X). 

Support is saying we can only narrow down to a backup set which could mean multiple tape volumes.  And being there are several versions of the file and multiple copies in various directories we are looking at pulling every vault tape for this server.  :(