cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While restore oracle, we are getiing the below error "Error received from media manager layer, error text:"

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

MAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 10/31/2009 20:06:58

ORA-19507: failed to retrieve sequential file, handle="bk_u8qksj0uk_s5402_p1_t701072340", parms=""

ORA-27029: skgfrtrv: sbtrestore returned error

ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:

Failed to open backup file for restore.

Please help on this, required medias are avialable in ACS. Please suggest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As far as Rman is concerned, "media manager layer " means NetBackup. It does not mean there's a problem with media or devices.

You need to have a look at the logs - first one - dbclient log on the client. Verify that it connects to the master server. Next, have a look at the master server's bprd log. Verify that client's restore request is received and that the image is found. If all of this is fine, check in bprd log which media server is selected for the restore job. Verify that connection is made to media server. Now go to media server and verify process flow there: bpcd -> bpbrm -> bptm.
Chances are that the problem will be somewhere between dbclient and bprd.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Is this box a media server?
What version of NBU your master is?
What version of NBU your media server is?
What version of NBU your client is?

Even when your drives are up or in ACS status, it can be that there is a missmatch issue with the tpconfig, tpautoconf and vmglob DB's, you need to ensure that the Drives Serial Number, Name and Path match between this DB.

Lets us know.

Marianne
Level 6
As far as Rman is concerned, "media manager layer " means NetBackup. It does not mean there's a problem with media or devices.

You need to have a look at the logs - first one - dbclient log on the client. Verify that it connects to the master server. Next, have a look at the master server's bprd log. Verify that client's restore request is received and that the image is found. If all of this is fine, check in bprd log which media server is selected for the restore job. Verify that connection is made to media server. Now go to media server and verify process flow there: bpcd -> bpbrm -> bptm.
Chances are that the problem will be somewhere between dbclient and bprd.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Omar villa,,

Please find below are the answers

Is this box a media server?   ...........                       sun 5.10   NB 5.1
What version of NBU your master is?                     sun 5.10   NB 5.1   MP7
What version of NBU your media server is?
What version of NBU your client is?                           sun 5.10   NB 5.1

Drives are configured on ACS , Medias are available , can u please tell how to import the medias from ACS library.

Hi Mrianne,,

Thanks for the information,  Could you please tell me, It is not problem from oracel side, The problem from Netbackup side. Please explain more ....

and if you know more errors oracle line ORA 018-2078....

Marianne
Level 6
To find out what is happening on the NetBackup side, you need to follow the process flow. In order to do that, you need to have a look at the logs in the order that I explained in my previous post.
Please also tell us if you are restoring back to the same client that performed the original backup.
If you are restoring to another client, have you followed all the required steps list in the Oracle for NBU Admin Guide?

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified
Hi
I want restore the DB on the same client. while restore, the restore job are in active, but no progress. I have waited more than 5 Hours, no use. I saw medias are there in the library ( ACS).  could you please let me know , How to troubleshoot on this. How to inventory on ACS, is it required?..

If you have time please explain on this . Thanks for your help.

Marianne
Level 6
I told you how to troubleshoot. Go read my 1st post.