cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wie werden bei Euch Daten archiviert

Thomas_Schulz_3
Level 5

Hallo.

Bei und kommt noch Netbackup zur Archivierung von Daten zum EInsatz und wir überlegen derzeit ein Archivsystem zu kaufen.

Welches System kommt denn bei euch zur Archivierung von Daten zum Einsatz?

Und wird das Archiv dann noch via Netbackup gesichert?

Danke

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

Symantec Enterprise Vault is the logical choice. It integrates with NetBackup in two ways.

1. NetBackup has an agent that allows you to backup the Enterprise Vault Data
  2. NetBackup can be used as a secondary target to place archive content after it reaches a predetermined age.

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Each software has its own hardware compatibility list. There is a lot of application out there that can do archive operation. Symantec has Enterprise Vault, EMC has SourceOne and HDS has HCP.

To find the best solution you should run a RFI (request for information) from the vendors you like to do business with. 

I don't think we with ease of mind can say one product do it all and solve all requirements you have. But we can say Symantec has Enterprise Vault and Netbackup has agent to protect Enterprise Vault data. 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-and-enterprise-vault-integration

loori
Level 5

Your question is a bit like: If you'd take the bus to NY, would you take an inflatable dinghi with you? (If I took it from German I'd better would?).

In the past we used SAMFS. That's a HSM, meaning archiving due to technical reasons. I can't see how to "backup" that with Netbackup.

Then we used Domino Storage Optimizer which archived mail attachements only, on a Centera. Due to it's dedupe/single instancing a backup is not feasible. Just let the Centeras replicate.

We looked at ELO which has a variety of possible hardware for storing it's data.

A project with WORM jukeboxes we canceled – after buying the hardware ...
Nobody was convinced of the return anymore. Part of the problem was that the project was concentrating on the technical issues. The "who" archives "what" and "why" was taken for granted – but not given.

At the moment we use Windream (more a nightmare, decision made on golf course?). That can use e.g. Centera, but can live without. We backup it's data (FS) and it's metadata (SQL).

You can't answer that question in general. There' a lot of software around to fill specific needs. Compliance and space saving (HSM) as two quite different needs e.g. That software then uses different hardware to store it's archives. Dependign on that you can develop a backup strategy like for any other application. In general it's not feasible to backup any dedupe/single instancing hardware.

The decision for an archiving solution is basically one way. There's not really a chance to migrate in ten years to something else.
Most of an archiving system is organization. Therefore it can't (shouldn't) be decided by IT alone.
If the users can't be convinced and still use a file sittig beside them you just burned money for no good reason.

9 REPLIES 9

aKapitz
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hallo Thomas,

ich war der Meinung, Ihr habt auch EV (Enterprise Vault) im Einsatz?!

Viele Grüße

Achim

Marianne
Level 6

Google Translate is not doing a very good job... 
It seems you are looking for an Archiving solution that integrates with NetBackup?

You may want to have a look at Enterprise Vault:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise-vault

Windows only, I'm afraid...

RiaanBadenhorst

Hello

Symantec Enterprise Vault is the logical choice. It integrates with NetBackup in two ways.

1. NetBackup has an agent that allows you to backup the Enterprise Vault Data
  2. NetBackup can be used as a secondary target to place archive content after it reaches a predetermined age.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What type of data are you looking to archive ?

What compliance level is needed ?

Just archiving data is half of the job. You need to think of the meta data as well, like department, expiration date. 

Symantec has archiving product called Enterprise Vault - it can archive data on a long range of devices from normal disk to HDS,EMC archiving devices in compliance mode.

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise-vault

Thomas_Schulz_3
Level 5

Ja, wir arbeiten zwangsläufig mit EV. Damit werden aber nur Notes Daten archiviert und ich möchte die anderen Files mit einem "richtigen" Archivsystem archivieren.

Thomas_Schulz_3
Level 5

I am looking for a system for the following cases:

Retention -> 10/20/30 years

Data -> txt / jpg / mpg / and some fullbackups from servers

Size -> about 50GB a day

And back you up the archived data with netbackup, too?

Which software ( EV ) and which hardware ( eg. EMC Celerra ) is availiable?

RiaanBadenhorst

EMC Centerra is good to store archive content. When you use it you don't backup the archives, only the databases and indexes. EMC protects the archive content with the builtin fault tolerance/redundancy of the Centerra.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Each software has its own hardware compatibility list. There is a lot of application out there that can do archive operation. Symantec has Enterprise Vault, EMC has SourceOne and HDS has HCP.

To find the best solution you should run a RFI (request for information) from the vendors you like to do business with. 

I don't think we with ease of mind can say one product do it all and solve all requirements you have. But we can say Symantec has Enterprise Vault and Netbackup has agent to protect Enterprise Vault data. 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-and-enterprise-vault-integration

loori
Level 5

Your question is a bit like: If you'd take the bus to NY, would you take an inflatable dinghi with you? (If I took it from German I'd better would?).

In the past we used SAMFS. That's a HSM, meaning archiving due to technical reasons. I can't see how to "backup" that with Netbackup.

Then we used Domino Storage Optimizer which archived mail attachements only, on a Centera. Due to it's dedupe/single instancing a backup is not feasible. Just let the Centeras replicate.

We looked at ELO which has a variety of possible hardware for storing it's data.

A project with WORM jukeboxes we canceled – after buying the hardware ...
Nobody was convinced of the return anymore. Part of the problem was that the project was concentrating on the technical issues. The "who" archives "what" and "why" was taken for granted – but not given.

At the moment we use Windream (more a nightmare, decision made on golf course?). That can use e.g. Centera, but can live without. We backup it's data (FS) and it's metadata (SQL).

You can't answer that question in general. There' a lot of software around to fill specific needs. Compliance and space saving (HSM) as two quite different needs e.g. That software then uses different hardware to store it's archives. Dependign on that you can develop a backup strategy like for any other application. In general it's not feasible to backup any dedupe/single instancing hardware.

The decision for an archiving solution is basically one way. There's not really a chance to migrate in ten years to something else.
Most of an archiving system is organization. Therefore it can't (shouldn't) be decided by IT alone.
If the users can't be convinced and still use a file sittig beside them you just burned money for no good reason.