c:\auto\a*.*

or

c:\auto\[1-5]*

Regards

Amit

4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6

I have a client that I setup 10 policies to backup the files. I used the telephone keypad as a model

Policy_0
   D:\dept\0*

Policy_1
   D:\dept\1*

Policy_2
   NEW_STREAM
   D:\dept\2*
   NEW_STREAM
   D:\dept\A*
   NEW_STREAM
   D:\dept\B*
   NEW_STREAM
   D:\dept\C*

Policy_3
   NEW_STREAM
   D:\dept\2*
   NEW_STREAM
   D:\dept\D*
   NEW_STREAM
   D:\dept\E*
   NEW_STREAM
   D:\dept\F*

and so on.....

I needed to break them up into separate policies so that I could split up the full backups throughout the week. Otherwise the 2.5TB of data would take too long to do it at one time.

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Yes! your 2nd option is correct!

C:\auto\[1-9]*

Wildcard use in NetBackup

Wildcard for zero or more characters. For example: r* refers to all files that begin with r r*.doc refers to all files that begin with r and end with .doc. To back up all files that end in .conf, specify: /etc/*.conf

?

Wildcard for any single character (A through Z; 0 through 9). For example: file? refers to file2, file3, file4 file?? refers to file12, file28, file89 To back up all files named log01_03, log02_03, and so on, specify: c:\system\log??_03

[ ]

Use a pair of square brackets to indicate any single character or range of characters separated with a dash. For example: file[2-4]refers to file2, file3, file4 file[24] refers to file2, file4 *[2-4] refers to file2, file3, file4, name2, name3, name4

{ }

Use a pair of curly brackets to indicate multiple file name patterns. Separate the patterns by commas only; no spaces are permitted. A match is made for any or all entries. For example: {*1.doc,*.pdf} refers to file1.doc, file1.pdf, file2.pdf

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I split my backups pretty much like Stumpr.

Please NOTE the difference between what you had and what he shows.

you had

a*.*

he has

a*

In your example you would only get files/directores that started with an 'a' AND had a dot it the name.

In his example you get all files or dirs that start with an 'a'

And like he said - he split to different policies, but you don't have to.  You can have all your numbers and letters in one policy with new streams here and there.  (just make sure that each stream has at least one valid item in it so you don't get jobs failing with a 71 error).

Stumpr2
Level 6

"just make sure that each stream has at least one valid item in it so you don't get jobs failing with a 71 error"

touche

touch it :)