cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will BackupExec client work with Netbackup unix server?

todis
Level 4
I know this may be a stupid question but I have to backup a new server temporarily until it can be moved to it's new location. We run Netbackup on Solaris and the facitility this server will end up at a month from now runs BackupExec. I thought it'd be easy to load backupExec client on this server if it will work with Netbackup so when it's time to ship it the BackupExec client is already installed and ready to go. Does anybody know if this will work??
7 REPLIES 7

Will_Restore
Level 6

BackupExec client will not work with Netbackup server.

MattS
Level 6
It should be ok to have both installed, just not running at the same time.

todis
Level 4
thanks for the replies -- my concern is they would conflict with each other but if services are down for one the other should work fine? My plan was to simply uninstall Netbackup client and install backup exec but didn't know if there would be residual Netbackup files that would conflict with Backup Exec.

MattS
Level 6
I personally dont like having both installed but i do understand why you might have a need for it.   I dont know if Symantec will support it though if you ever need to open a case.

I recommend disabling the service of which ever product your not using.

todis
Level 4
MattS -- thanks. For now I'll load NB client and run with it. Hopefully I won't have issues uninstalling NB and install BE later.. thanks again.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
I do remember many moons back (we were either running 4.5 or 5.1 so things may have changed since then) we took on some WindowsNT servers that were originally backed up using BackupExec. They were then incorporated into our NetBackup environment & everything appeared to be ok for a while. However, we eventually started to encounter issues & it was found that BackupExec hadn't been uninstalled (or completely uninstalled) & was interfering with the NetBackup processes. Once BE was completely uninstalled, the issues ceased.

So, it may be possible to have both installed, but be aware that you may encounter issues.

Will_Restore
Level 6
From the Netbackup Installation instructions:

Remove any other vendor’s backup software currently configured on your system. The backup software of another vendor can negatively affect how NetBackup installs and functions.