cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will N5220 appliances optimise dedupe to a media server (storage server and MSDP)?

hma
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I am trying to determine whether an N5220 appliance running as a media server at a remote site can replicate with optimised deduplication to a storage server with an MSDP at a local site?

The remote N5220 and central media server (storage server with MSDP) will be in the same NetBackup 7.5 domain, but according to the NBU 7.x HCL, optimised deduplication is “Supported from 5200 Series to 5000 Series (MSDP to PDDO) and from 5200 Series to 5200 Series (MSDP to MSDP).”

Based on the following, if a backup is 20TB in capacity, and the N5220 deduplicated this down to 1TB, would 1TB (less 20% for compression) be replicated from the remote N5220 to the media server (storage server with MSDP) at the central site, or would it replicate the whole 20TB?

I’ve spent hours reading all of the deduplication guides which are confusing me the more I read them, especially as the N5220 is in essence a media server with an MSDP.

Thanks in advance,

H M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

watsons
Level 6

What is the local storage server with MSDP you have?  Appliance or just another media server with MSDP?

Actually optimized duplication is not limited to just Appliance, so you can use it to duplicate data from Appliance 5220 to another MSDP storage server (non-Appliance). What you saw in the guide is that you can do this from MSDP to PDDO or another MSDP.

The optimized duplication is only going to duplicate your dedup'ed 1TB data - not 20TB data. It does not make sense to rehydrate the data first on source storage, transfer it over and to dedup it again on target storage.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

watsons
Level 6

What is the local storage server with MSDP you have?  Appliance or just another media server with MSDP?

Actually optimized duplication is not limited to just Appliance, so you can use it to duplicate data from Appliance 5220 to another MSDP storage server (non-Appliance). What you saw in the guide is that you can do this from MSDP to PDDO or another MSDP.

The optimized duplication is only going to duplicate your dedup'ed 1TB data - not 20TB data. It does not make sense to rehydrate the data first on source storage, transfer it over and to dedup it again on target storage.

hma
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi Wastons,

That was my understanding also, the only reason I questioned it was after checking the HCL.

The N5220 is going perform backups at a remote site which will be replicated by an SLP to a NBU 7.5 media server at a central site, Media Server Deduplication Option/storage server and an MSDP to manage the disk presented to the media server.

Thanks for clarifying.