cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win2008 NBU master & Media servers

T_N
Level 6
Hi All,

I need to install NBU 6.5.5 (master & media servers) on Win2008 plaform, I checked on Symantec compabilty list but couldn't find. Anyone knows NBU 6.5.5 is  compatible on Win2008 ? Also Imy new NBU 6.5.5 will use DD660 as library. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

CY
Level 6
Certified
According to the most current NetBackup OS Compatibility list (updated 11/12/09):

"NetBackup Client and Server are supported on all of the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 Editions, except for HPC which in not yet available."

"NetBackup Client and Media Server are supported on Microsoft Storage Server 2008, except on Windows Server 2008 Core."

The NBU Master Server support on Windows 2008 began in NetBackup 6.5.4.  So 6.5.5 should be fine.

T_N
Level 6
Thanks for your information, it'll be great. When I install NBU (master & media server) software on Window 2008, the procedure  is it same as installation NBU (master & media servers) on Win2003 ?

CY
Level 6
Certified
The installation procedure is the same on Windows 2008 as on Windows 2003.  But you need to be aware of some different behavior of Windows 2008.

See the discussion in this thread, and check the knowledge base documents mentioned:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/nbu-654-win2008x64

T_N
Level 6
Thanks CY, it's very helpfull. I have question: When I install NBU 6.5.5 on Win2008 x64, I should install PBX first right? If in futur my boss he change direction, he want to use encryption to back up data, for that case could I install more NBAC on master & media server or I couldn't ? Thanks.

CY
Level 6
Certified
Yes, PBX first - it is one of the pre-installation requirements.

As far as encryption - you have several choices.  You can use the NetBackup encryption option (MSEO) which certainly takes more NetBackup Media server's system resource.   Or you can use LTO-4 drives.  Or you can use some backup appliance that encrypts backup images before they are written to the tapes.  Anyhow I don't think that would be a problem for NBU to run on Windows 2008.

T_N
Level 6
Thanks CY, you mean in futur if  I use encryption (MSEO) I can install & setup (Authentication & Authorization) on Master & Media Servers, don't need to start from first right ? How about if I use NBAC on master, media server and GUI security or Client Side Encryption, do I should install & setup (Authentication & Authorization) on Master & Media Servers ? Thanks.

T_N
Level 6
Hi All,

I' ll install NBU 6.5.4 on Win2008 64 bits, I'm wondering  What OS are we installing – Windows 2008 SP2, Standard Edition, 64-bit?

TIKI
Level 3

Dear Sir

I have a 6.5.3 master server (solaris 9) and connect  Tape library with SCSI &  SAN ( robot by scsi , Tape Driver by SAN) . Today I install a media server on windows 2008 sp2 x64 with NBU 6.5.2 x64. I can see all driver by SAN . But when I upgrade it to 6.5.3 that the Remote manager monitor server can't stop . I must kill the nbrmms process and the upgrade can go on.
When the installation is finish , I restart my 2008 server . But when I use tpconfig command there are no any respond . And I cant start the EMM service . And I use bpdown commend then the Remote manager monitor server can't stop .
Could anybody  help me please ?