cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 2008 to windows 2012

kandi
Level 3

Hi,

I have NBU 7.5.0.4 running on windows server 2008 r2. my media servers are also my storage servers.D: drive stores the backup images. I am trying to upgrade these servers into windows 2012. Is there a documentation that explains how to do this kind of transfer without losing my backup data on media servers?

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kandi
Level 3

yes...it did work!!

Please remeber i had my netbackup media server installed on D: drive and operating system on C: drive. also the images that were backed up statyed on D: drive.

steps

1. disable the array controller for D: drive so that the OS never sees that there is another drive(from RBSU).

2. install the OS on C: drive

3. enable the D: drive again

4. install the netbackup media server with the same config config as before.

5. you are done!!

Thanks for all your ideas

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Do you want to upgrade to Windows 2012 (not R2), or Windows 2012 R2?

If Windows 2012 R2, then you'll need to upgrade NetBackup to v7.5.0.6 first.

After that - it's down to Windows.  AFAIK there is no specific NetBackup 'advice' re upgrading Windows O/S.

Probably best to 'test' it first - on a VM?

i.e. build a WIndows 2008 R2 machine, then install NetBackup v7.5, then patch to v7.5.0.4, then patch to v7.5.0.6 - then snapshot it - then upgrade Windows OS.

watsons
Level 6

No change on netbackup, but to be safe I would backup some important config files of the MSDP (if it is), and make sure the OS upgrade does not write into the MSDP partition. 

As sdo pointed out, upgrade to the supported Netbackup version first for Windows 2012 R2.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Probably best to disconnect D-drive before you start OS upgrade. Ensure 7.6.0.1 or 7.6.1 works properly and you have a good catalog backup. As per previous posts, we don't know what happens to installed applications during OS upgrade. You may need to reinstall NBU and recover catalog. Most people migrate to new hardware when upgrading OS.

kandi
Level 3

i guess i figured out....i had the luxury of having 2 RAID contollers. so i disabled the one that controls the D: drive and am i trying to rebuild the C: drive with w2k12r2. I hope it works. i am trying this in 2 days.

Thanks for all your efforts.

kandi
Level 3

yes...it did work!!

Please remeber i had my netbackup media server installed on D: drive and operating system on C: drive. also the images that were backed up statyed on D: drive.

steps

1. disable the array controller for D: drive so that the OS never sees that there is another drive(from RBSU).

2. install the OS on C: drive

3. enable the D: drive again

4. install the netbackup media server with the same config config as before.

5. you are done!!

Thanks for all your ideas

kandi
Level 3

I pretty much followed ur technique.....but added some more details...donno how to make both of thew solutions as answer...sorry