cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 64 bit client backups

Colin_North
Level 6
I have a master server with 6.0 MP4 and Windows 2003 Server 32 bit and all my clients are 32 bit, except one which is 64 bit - both 64 bit hardware and 64 bit Windows 2003 Server.

I know that I need the NBU 64 bit client software and that I need to install the software locally rather than remote. Does anyone know if I need a NBU 64 bit client license to backup this client (does such a thing exist)? Or will a standard NBU license cover this?

The 6.0 installation & admin manuals are lacking with info on 64 bit installs.

Thanks in advance...Colin.

6 REPLIES 6

AntonioVargas
Level 4
Hi Colin,

as far as i know the only thing you need is a windows Netbackup client licence. Until you upgrade to 6.5 version the licenses must be issue by operating system, but not by x64 or x86.. in netbackup 6.5 client licences dont specify operating system and can be used for all the avaiable.

best regards

Colin_North
Level 6

António,
Thanks for your reply.

At the moment I am unable to locate the NBU 6.0 MP4 client software for Windows 2003 server x64. It's no longer available from fileconnect.symantec.com, as 6.5.2. is the only version available.

Does anyone know where I can get version 6.0 software from?

Thanks, Colin.

AntonioVargas
Level 4
you may find what you need at:

:)

Colin_North
Level 6

I am still having a real problem in obtaining the 64 bit software that I need for Netbackup 6.0. The rest of my environment is on NBU 6.0 MP4 (32 bit) but I currently have one server that's 64 bit and will be taking on more of them soon.

I have looked at every Symantec download site that I can access and cannot find the Netbackup 6.0GA 64 bit (for Intel) base client software, that I can then apply a maintenance pack on the top of. I have spoken to Symantec tech support and customer support and have been given two seperate download links, which only provide me with both MP2 and MP4 not the x64 version of the base client software.

My 64 bit server has the following OS - Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition, Service Pack 1.

Hardware information is as follows - System Type = x64-based PC / Processor = EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 7 GeniuneIntel ~1596 Mhz (two x quad core processors)

I am now getting it in the neck from the end users who want this server backed up like weeks ago. As you will see I have got nowhere with Symantec support.

Can anyone help??

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Colin,

The x64 client first appears in NetBackup 6.0 MP2.  Even though it says it is a MP, it contains the full x64 client.  From that point forward, the x64 MP is just a MP.

Colin_North
Level 6

Ron,

I installed the software and as you confirmed it was the full version, even though the readme files say that it's only a maintenance pack.

Cheers.